Skip to main content
Press Release

District of Columbia Man Found Guilty of First-Degree Murder in 2017 Shooting in Southeast Washington

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Shooting Led to Death of Popular Swim Coach

            WASHINGTON – A District of Columbia man has been found guilty of first-degree (felony) murder while armed, with aggravating circumstances, and attempted robbery while armed in a 2017 shooting in Southeast Washington that led to the death of a swim coach.

            Christopher Green, 36, also known as “Twin,” was found guilty on Dec. 2, 2021, following a month-long trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. In addition to the murder charge, Green was found guilty of assault with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, and attempted robbery while armed. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on federal racketeering and other charges.

            The guilty verdict was announced by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves, Wayne A. Jacobs, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office Criminal Division, Robert J. Contee III, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), and Malik Aziz, Chief of the Prince George’s County, Maryland Police.

            According to the government’s evidence, Green was a core member of a criminal organization that operated in the District of Columbia, Prince George’s County, Maryland, and elsewhere, primarily making money through a series of armed robberies.

            The jury found Green found guilty of murder in a shooting in Southeast Washington on April 9, 2017, that later led to the death of Zaan Scott, 25. Mr. Scott, a coach at the Eastern Market pool, was on his way home from swim lessons when Green intended to rob him at approximately 9:05 p.m. Mr. Scott died on May 17, 2017, of a blood clot that the medical examiner determined was a result of the shooting. Green also was found guilty of firing gunshots at another victim on Feb. 23, 2017.

            Green has been detained since his arrest in April 2017.

            The Honorable Randolph D. Moss scheduled sentencing for March 25, 2022.

            In announcing the verdict, U.S. Attorney Graves, Special Agent in Charge Jacobs, Chief Contee, and Chief Aziz commended the work of those who investigated the case from the FBI’s Washington Field Office, the Metropolitan Police Department, and the Prince George’s County Police Department.

            They also acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney Ellen D’Angelo; former Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kenneth F. Whitted and Richard Barker; Paralegal Supervisor Mary Downing; Paralegal Specialists Candace Battle and Lornce Applewhite; Legal Assistant Latoya Wade; Investigative Analyst Zachary McMenamin; Litigation Technology Specialist Paul Howell, and Victim/Witness Advocate Marcia Rinker.  

            Finally, they expressed appreciation for the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Michael C. Liebman and Nihar R. Mohanty, who investigated and prosecuted the case.



Updated December 3, 2021

Violent Crime