You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, June 23, 2023

District Man Convicted of Murdering Woman Who Went Missing in 2010 and Has Never Been Found

GPS and Other Evidence Led to Defendant’s Arrest

            WASHINGTON – Isaac Moye, 46, of Washington D.C., was convicted today of second-degree murder in connection with the October 2010 disappearance of Unique Harris, a 24-year-old woman who disappeared from her home and whose body has never been found. The verdict was announced by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and Interim Chief Ashan Benedict of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            “More than a decade ago, two children lost their mother to a killer who had no regard for anyone’s needs but his own,” said US Attorney Graves. “Thanks to dogged police work by the Metropolitan Police Department detectives who worked this case, and the dedicated, tireless efforts of the prosecution team, a jury held this defendant accountable for this heinous murder.”

            “I want to offer my deepest condolences to the family of Unique Harris. I commend the hard work of everyone involved in this case, especially our homicide detectives who never give up fighting for our victims and ensuring offenders are held accountable,” Interim Chief Benedict said. “This case is a prime example of our detectives’ dedication and tireless work.”

            According to the evidence presented at trial, on October 9, 2010, Unique Harris hosted a sleepover for her young children and their nine-year-old cousin at her home in Southeast Washington, D.C. At approximately 9:30 p.m. that night, Harris put the children to bed. At 10:39 p.m., Isaac Moye, a man she had known for only two months, arrived at her home, calling her on her cell phone just moments before entering her building. The next morning, the three children awoke to find their mother gone. Her cell phone and keys were also missing. Her purse and all its contents, including her identification and credit cards were left behind. The eyeglasses she never left home without were also there in the home. Her sofa had been mutilated, a hole cut in the fabric, a section of foam removed. There was no blood, no sign of struggle. And she was never seen or heard from again. 

            Over the course of the next few years, Isaac Moye was interviewed multiple times by members of the Metropolitan Police Department. He changed his story between interviews – denying, then admitting, then denying that he and Unique Harris had ever been intimate, denying that he had ever been in her home overnight, and denying that had seen her the day that she went missing. Moye’s semen was identified on the mutilated sofa cushion and his GPS records placed him at the decedent’s home for the entire night. Moye also made statements to another person, who testified that Moye said there was a missing girl, but that police were “never going to find her” because he “did it, but did it the right way.” Ms. Harris was reported missing on Oct. 10, 2010. Moye was arrested and charged with the murder on Dec. 19, 2020. He has been in custody ever since.

            Moye faces a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and five years of supervised release.

            This case is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys S. Vinét Bryant and Erin DeRiso.

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 
Updated June 23, 2023