Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Found Guilty Of Murder And Other Charges In 2011 Slaying In Northeast Washington-Defendant Waited For Victim, Then Shot Him In An Alley In Broad Daylight-

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

     WASHINGTON - Terry Johnson, 23, of Washington, D.C., has been found guilty by a jury of second-degree murder while armed and related weapons charges for a slaying that took place in 2011 in Northeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced today.

     Johnson was found guilty on March 8, 2013 following a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.  He is to be sentenced on May 8, 2013 by the Honorable Herbert B. Dixon, Jr.  Johnson, who has previous felony convictions, faces enhanced penalties that could lead to a life prison sentence for these crimes.

     According to the government’s evidence, the murder took place at about 11:45 a.m. on Oct. 26, 2011 in the 5200 block of Clay Street NE.  Johnson had an ongoing feud with the victim, Andre Wiggins, 19, in which the two men on multiple occasions ambushed and fired gunshots at one another.  The feud stemmed from Mr. Wiggins’s then current romantic relationship with Johnson’s ex-girlfriend. 

     On Oct. 26, 2011, Johnson was told that Mr. Wiggins followed one of Johnson’s children and the mother of that child (not the woman at the center of the feud) as they walked in the neighborhood.  Johnson was infuriated upon hearing this and promised to “take care of it.”  Johnson went to Mr. Wiggins’s neighborhood, positioned himself in an alley, and waited for his arrival. Upon seeing Mr. Wiggins, Johnson who was armed and wearing a mask, ran him down, firing multiple times and leaving Mr. Wiggins dead in the street. 

     During the trial, the government presented cell tower records, text messages, and other evidence linking Johnson to the murder. Among other things, the defendant threatened a jailhouse witness while en route to court in the final days of trial.

     In announcing the verdicts, U.S. Attorney Machen praised those who worked on the case, including detectives and officers from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Unit and Sixth Police District. He also expressed appreciation to the FBI Special Agent who worked on the case as well as those who handled the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Litigation Technology Specialists Leif Hickling and Paul Howell; Victim Witness Security Specialist Katina Adams; Victim Advocate Tamara Ince; Paralegal Specialist Kendra Johnson, and Investigator Durand Odom. Finally he acknowledged the efforts of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Reagan Taylor and Michelle Bradford, who prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015