You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

District Man Pleads Guilty to Charges In Two Robberies of Taxicab Drivers

Defendant Got Into Cabs at Union Station, Then Robbed Drivers in Northeast Washington

            WASHINGTON - Johnathan Waddell, 18, of Washington, D.C., pled guilty today to charges stemming from two robberies of taxicab drivers that took place within a one-week period in December of 2016, announced U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips and Peter Newsham, Acting Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).


            Waddell pled guilty in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to one count of armed robbery and another count of attempted robbery. The Honorable Kimberley S. Knowles

scheduled sentencing for May 15, 2017.


            According to the government’s evidence, on Dec. 12, 2016, at approximately 6 p.m., Waddell entered a cab at Union Station in Washington, D.C., and requested that the driver take him to 300 Evarts Street NE. When they arrived at the intersection of Third and Evarts Streets, Waddell said he would get out there. The taxicab driver turned around to tell Waddell how much money was owed. At that point, Waddell brandished a handgun and demanded money. The driver handed him his wallet, and Waddell fled the scene with between $100 and $200.


            The second robbery took place on Dec. 18, 2016, at approximately 5:30 p.m. Once again, Waddell entered a cab at Union Station and asked to be taken to 300 Evarts Street. When they arrived at Third and Evarts Streets, Waddell had his hands in his pockets and acted as though he aimed a weapon. He told the driver: “Give me your money.” The driver took about $16 from his pocket and turned it over, and Waddell once again fled the scene.


            Detectives with the Metropolitan Police Department reviewed surveillance footage from Union Station and noticed that the riders from both robberies appeared to be the same person. Further investigation led to Waddell’s arrest on Dec. 21, 2016. He has been in custody ever since.


            In announcing the plea, U.S. Attorney Phillips and Acting Chief Newsham commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They also expressed appreciation for the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Michael J. Christin, Vanessa Goodwin, and Shana L. Fulton, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Press Release Number: 
Updated March 7, 2017