Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Pleads Guilty to Second-Degree Murder While Armed In November 2015 Stabbing

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Stabbed Victim in the Face

            WASHINGTON -- Daniel Scott, 36, of Washington, D.C. pled guilty today to a charge stemming from an incident in November 2015 in which he stabbed another man in the face, causing the victim’s death, U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips announced.

            Scott pled guilty in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to second-degree murder while armed.  The plea, which is contingent upon the Court’s approval, calls for a prison sentence of 15 years.  The Honorable Michael Ryan scheduled sentencing for Feb. 24, 2017.

            According to the government’s evidence, during the early evening hours of Nov. 21, 2015, Scott became involved in an argument with a female panhandler over money she had received from a patron while standing outside of the 7-Eleven store in the 1100 block of South Capitol Street SW.  At some point during this dispute, Scott obtained a knife and began swinging it at the female panhandler, who was also with a male companion.  Shortly thereafter, the pair left the 7-Eleven property and began traveling towards M Street SE. 

            Unbeknownst to them, Scott followed the pair as they left the 7-Eleven and crossed the street.  Scott then confronted them and lunged at the male, James Michael Neal, stabbing him once in the face with a butcher’s knife.  Scott then threw the knife to the ground and fled the area.  After a look-out was given, Scott was apprehended a short distance away at a nearby McDonald’s restaurant.  Mr. Neal, 54, was transported to a local hospital to receive further medical treatment for the stab wound to the face, which was determined to have penetrated his nasal cavity, causing hemorrhaging throughout his brain and skull.  Over the course of the night, his condition progressively deteriorated and on Nov. 22, 2015, he died from the injuries.

            Scott has been in custody since his arrest.

            In announcing the plea, U.S. Attorney Phillips commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department.  He also expressed appreciation for the efforts of Assistant U.S. Attorney Charles J. Willoughby, Jr., who investigated and prosecuted the matter.

Updated December 13, 2016

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 16-240