Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, March 24, 2017

District Man Pleads Guilty to Sexually Abusing 15-Year-Old Girl

Abuse Took Place While Girl Was Staying With Defendant

            WASHINGTON – Urlick Evans, 41, of Washington, D.C., pled guilty today to a charge of first-degree child sexual abuse involving a 15-year-old girl, announced U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips, Andrew Vale, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, and Peter Newsham, Acting Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).


            Evans pled guilty before the Honorable Reggie B. Walton of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The plea, which is contingent upon the Court’s approval, calls for an agreed-upon 102-month prison term. Judge Walton set a hearing for June 26, 2017 to determine whether the plea and sentence will be accepted. In addition to the prison term, Evans would be required to register as a sex offender for a period of 10 years.


            According to a statement of offense submitted during the plea proceedings, at the end of July 2015, the 15-year-old victim ran away from her residence in Baltimore. Once in Washington, D.C., she made contact with her estranged father, and stayed with him for approximately one week until she met Evans.


            Evans, who was 39 at the time, asked the girl how old she was and she initially told him that she was 18. He invited her to his apartment in Southeast Washington. Once there, he sexually abused the girl. Shortly thereafter, he was contacted by members of the girl’s family and informed that she was only 15. Specifically, on Aug. 20, 2015, the girl’s parents contacted Evans to inquire about the whereabouts of their daughter. The father requested that Evans return the girl to him. Evans, however, told the parents that she no longer was living with him and that he did not know where they could find her.


            After this conversation, the girl continued to live with Evans at his apartment in Washington, D.C. Also, according to the statement of offense, over the course of the next several weeks and up until Evans’s arrest on September 22, 2015, he continued to sexually abuse the girl.


            In announcing the plea, U.S. Attorney Phillips, Assistant Director in Charge Vale, and Acting Chief Newsham commended the work of those who investigated the case from MPD’s Youth Division and the FBI’s Child Exploitation Task Force. They also expressed appreciation for the work of those who handled the case at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Criminal Investigator John Marsh and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Andrea L. Hertzfeld and Lindsay J. Suttenberg, who are prosecuting the matter.

Press Release Number: 
Updated March 24, 2017