Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to 10-Year Prison Term for Shootings That Targeted Two Off-Duty Metropolitan Police Officers

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant’s Brother Sentenced to 16 Months in Prison for Related Offenses

     WASHINGTON –Romeo T. Hayes, 29, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 10 years in prison on charges stemming from the Aug. 13, 2014 shooting of Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Detective Thurman Stallings, and the attempted shooting of MPD Officer Shaquinta Gaines, both of whom were off-duty at the time. His brother, Ronald J. Hayes, Jr., also known as “Rocky,” 21, also of Washington, D.C., was sentenced to 16 months of incarceration for related offenses. The sentences were announced by U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips and Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

     Under what is known as the Alford doctrine, Romeo Hayes pled guilty on Nov. 4, 2015, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to eight felonies and one misdemeanor.  Specifically, he pled guilty to one count of assault with intent to kill stemming from the shooting of Detective Stallings; one count of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence; one count of assault with a dangerous weapon (gun) stemming from the attempted shooting of Officer Gaines; one count of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle during or to facilitate a crime of violence; three counts of felony destruction of property; one count of fleeing from a law enforcement officer, and one count of misdemeanor destruction of property. Under an Alford plea, the defendant does not admit the allegations but agrees that the government has enough evidence to secure a conviction. His guilty plea, which was subject to the Court’s approval, called for a 10-year prison sentence. The Honorable Jennifer Anderson accepted the plea today. Following his prison term, Romeo Hayes will be placed on three years of supervised release.

     Ronald Hayes, Jr., who otherwise is serving a 12-year sentence for two counts of vehicular manslaughter in Prince George’s County, Md., pled guilty to one count of tampering with physical evidence, a felony.  In accepting his guilty plea and the plea agreement on which it was based, Judge Anderson sentenced Ronald. Hayes, Jr. to 16 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release, to be run concurrently with the sentence he is presently serving in Prince George’s County. Ronald Hayes, Jr., has a projected long-term release date in Maryland in 2025.  If he seeks early parole in Maryland, the guilty plea and sentencing in the District of Columbia could be used to argue for his continued detention.

     “The sentencing in this case holds Romeo Hayes accountable for shooting at two off-duty police officers, taking them by surprise while they were driving in their privately owned vehicles on major streets in Southeast Washington,” said U.S. Attorney Phillips. “It is fortunate that Detective Stallings, who was shot four times, was not more seriously wounded and that Officer Gaines somehow escaped injury. The sentencing also holds Ronald Hayes, Jr. accountable for his efforts to conceal his brother’s involvement in these senseless but serious and violent crimes.”

     According to the government’s evidence, on Tuesday night, Aug. 12, 2014, Romeo Hayes and Ronald Hayes, Jr., together with several other individuals, were at a home in Glenarden, Md.  Romeo Hayes was consuming tequila and also taking drugs known as “Mollies,” a toxic mixture of laboratory-created or synthetic chemicals that stimulates the central nervous system and causes euphoric highs similar to those created by ecstasy.

     At some point, Romeo Hayes indicated that he wanted to go to a nightclub known as the Opera Ultra Lounge, in the 1400 block of I Street NW.  Accordingly, in the early morning hours of Aug. 13, 2014, Romeo Hayes and another individual left the home to head to the nightclub. Romeo Hayes drove there in a red 2013 Nissan Altima that he knew recently had been stolen from a rental car agency at Ronald Reagan National Airport.  Video footage from the nightclub captured Romeo Hayes and his companion entering the nightclub at about 12:50 a.m.

     Video footage also captured Romeo Hayes and his companion leaving the Opera nightclub at approximately 2:24 a.m.  Because Romeo Hayes had been drinking alcohol, and had consumed drugs known as “Mollies,” as well as some marijuana, the individual who was with Romeo Hayes obtained the car keys to the stolen red 2013 Nissan Altima and assumed the role as driver.  Romeo Hayes sat in the front passenger seat.  Romeo Hayes had a black Glock 17 9mm semi-automatic pistol with an extended magazine in the stolen red 2013 Nissan Altima.

     The individual who was with Romeo Hayes started to drive back to the house in Glenarden, Md. As the individual drove outbound on Suitland Parkway in Southeast Washington, in the right lane, just before the exit for Alabama Avenue SE, at about 2:47 a.m., Romeo Hayes fired two or three gunshots from the window adjacent to the front passenger seat.  The gunshots were directed at a white Nissan Maxima occupied by Officer Gaines, who was in the left lane and who was off-duty at the time and driving home.  One of the bullets fired by Romeo Hayes struck the white Nissan Maxima, causing substantial damage to the car.

     Thereafter, with Officer Gaines following behind, the individual who was with Romeo Hayes sped off and drove to Southern Avenue, where – in the left lane – he came to a stop light at the intersection of Southern and Pennsylvania Avenues SE.  In the right lane, also at the stop light, was Detective Stallings, who was alone in a GMC Yukon Denali, and who was off-duty but on his way to work.  From the front passenger seat, Romeo Hayes fired multiple gunshots at Detective Stallings, striking him with a bullet in the left forearm and inflicting significant damage to the driver-side of the GMC Yukon Denali.

     Wounded, Detective Stallings rammed the red 2013 Nissan Altima in an effort to disable it and to prevent the shooter and any other occupants from escaping.  When that occurred, the stolen red Nissan Altima pivoted in front of the GMC Yukon Denali. Romeo Hayes fired an additional volley of shots at Detective Stallings, striking him three additional times in the chest and shoulder area, and also damaging the windshield behind which he sat.

     At the urging of Romeo Hayes, the individual who was with him managed to drive off.  He turned left off of Southern Avenue onto Massachusetts Avenue.  There, in the 4200 block of Massachusetts Avenue SE, just off of Southern Avenue SE, Romeo Hayes again began to shoot at the white Nissan Maxima occupied by off-duty Officer Gaines, who had been following them, who had reported the license tag number for the stolen red Nissan Altima to a 9-1-1 call-taker, and who had witnessed the collision between the Altima and the GMC Yukon Denali at the intersection of Southern and Pennsylvania Avenues SE.

     After this third and last shooting, the individual who was with Romeo Hayes drove rapidly back to the house in Glenarden. He parked near that residence and ran inside, followed by Romeo Hayes.  Inside the residence were Ronald Hayes, Jr., and several other individuals.  The individual who was with Romeo Hayes quietly told Ronald Hayes, Jr., about the shootings, and expressed concern that Romeo Hayes fired gunshots for no apparent reason and may have killed someone.  He also gave Ronald Hayes, Jr., the keys to the red 2013 Nissan Altima

     Romeo Hayes gave the Glock 17 9mm pistol with the extended magazine to his brother, who quickly concealed – and later hid – the gun.  Romeo Hayes and Ronald Hayes, Jr., then began to argue. Their voices were elevated and firm.  Ronald Hayes, Jr., demanded to know exactly what Romeo Hayes had done, and why.  For his part, Romeo Hayes demanded the car keys for the stolen red 2013 Nissan Altima.  Romeo Hayes said he wanted to purchase some gasoline and “blow the car up,” to degrade and devalue it as evidence.  Following several minutes of loud argument, Romeo Hayes obtained the car keys from his brother.

     Romeo Hayes then left and ran back to the stolen red 2013 Nissan Altima, which had suffered significant damage on the passenger side when it was rammed by the GMC Yukon Denali driven by Detective Stallings.  Romeo Hayes drove off, and soon was spotted and followed by the police. Multiple police units, including MPD officers, Prince George’s County Police Department officers, and a United States Park Police helicopter, were involved in the pursuit of the stolen red Nissan Altima.  Romeo Hayes drove at a high rate of speed, and attempted to elude the police during this pursuit.

     The pursuit came to an end in the 5500 block of Hunt Place NE, between 3:45 a.m. and 4 a.m., where Romeo Hayes ultimately was arrested. He has been in custody ever since. Ronald Hayes, Jr., was added as a defendant when the indictment was returned on May 12, 2015.  He was arrested that same night.

     In announcing the acceptance of the guilty pleas and the sentences, U.S. Attorney Phillips commended the work of the detectives of the Criminal Investigations Division Homicide Branch, crime scene officers, and the Sixth and Seventh Police Districts of the Metropolitan Police Department.  He also commended the work of the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the Prince George’s County Police Department, and the helicopter unit of the U.S. Park Police.  As well, U.S. Attorney Phillips expressed appreciation of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Criminal Investigators Derek Starliper, Durand Odom, and Mark Crawford; Paralegal Specialist Debra Joyner; Investigative Analysts Shannon Alexis and Zachary McMenamin; Shawn Slade and Juanita Harris, of the Victim/Witness Assistance Unit, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Jocelyn Ballantine, Karen P. Seifert, John Marston, Lindsey Merikas, and Jessica Brooks. Finally, U.S. Attorney Phillips praised the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael D. Brittin, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Updated March 8, 2016

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 16-037