Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison For 2013 Stabbing In Southeast Washington-Victim, A Transgender Woman, Had More Than 40 Stab Wounds-

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

     WASHINGTON – Michael McBride, 23, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 10 years in prison for stabbing a transgender woman last year in Southeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

     McBride pled guilty in October 2013, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to a charge of aggravated assault while armed. He was sentenced by the Honorable Patricia A. Broderick.  Judge Broderick also ordered McBride to serve five years of supervised release after completion of his prison term, and to receive mental health services. 

     According to the government’s evidence, McBride and the victim had been exchanging text messages and phone calls prior to the attack. On June 21, 2013, at about 1 a.m., they agreed to meet outside an abandoned home in the 3000 block of Stanton Road SE. McBride went to the location with the intention of having sex with the victim. He and the victim went inside the abandoned home and then got into a verbal dispute about sex. A struggle ensued, and, without warning, McBride produced a knife and stabbed the victim multiple times. The knife blade broke as McBride was stabbing the victim in the collarbone.

     The victim collapsed on a couch in the living room area. McBride fled.  The victim suffered more than 40 stab wounds to the body, and was transported to a hospital. She suffered significant blood loss and would have died but for the timely provision of medical care. McBride, who was on supervised release in another case, was arrested a short time after the attack and he has remained in custody ever since.

     In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of those who investigated the case for the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). He also praised the work of those who handled the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Lynette Briggs, Victim/Witness Advocate James Brennan, and Witness Security Specialist M. Laverne Forrest.  Finally, he expressed appreciation for the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kendra Briggs and Tejpal S. Chawla, who prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015