You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, January 29, 2016

District Man Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Fatally Shooting Man Following Argument About Victim's Dog

Shooting Took Place Outside Southeast Washington Apartment Complex

            WASHINGTON – Rickey Jones, also known as Heritage Rickey Jones, 22, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 10 years in prison for the shooting death of a man last year in Southeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips announced.

            Jones pled guilty in October 2015, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to charges of voluntary manslaughter and carrying a pistol without a license. The plea, which was contingent on the Court’s approval, called for a sentence of 10 years in prison. The Honorable Robert E. Morin accepted the plea today and sentenced Jones accordingly. Upon completion of his prison term, Jones will be placed on five years of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, on Sunday, Nov. 30, 2014, Jones and the victim, Kirk Perry, 50, got into verbal arguments in the 2400 block of Elvans Road SE over Mr. Perry’s dog.  During those arguments, Jones said, “I got a 4-5 with an extended clip for your dog.”  Mr. Perry and a family member left the area and went to a nearby laundromat.

            About three hours after the argument, Mr. Perry returned to his apartment complex.  While bringing laundry into the apartment, he again saw Jones outside.  After a mutual associate approached Mr. Perry and suggested that he speak with Jones, Mr. Perry returned outside in hopes of settling their dispute.  At approximately 12:35 a.m., on Dec. 1, 2014, Mr. Perry had a conversation with Jones that occurred in between two parked cars in a parking lot of the apartment complex on Elvans Road where they both resided.  At the time of that conversation, Mr. Perry had a firearm tucked into his waistband.

            Jones, armed with a pistol, fired at Mr. Perry and Mr. Perry was struck multiple times.  When Mr. Perry fell to the ground face down, Jones continued firing his weapon.  Mr. Perry suffered 13 gunshot wounds, including two in his back.  When medical and law enforcement personnel arrived, they transported Mr. Perry to a nearby medical facility where Mr. Perry was pronounced dead.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Phillips commended the work of the detectives of the Criminal Investigations Division Homicide Branch, crime scene officers, and the Seventh Police District of the Metropolitan Police Department. He also expressed appreciation for the work of the D.C. Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services and the D.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. He acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Clark; Victim/Witness Security Specialist Tanya Via; Paralegal Specialists Zekiah Wright and Debra Joyner; Investigative Analyst Zachary McMenamin, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Natalia Medina. Finally, he praised the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Eckert, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Press Release Number: 
Updated February 4, 2016