You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, July 20, 2018

District Man Sentenced to 13 Years in Prison For Shooting Man in Broad Daylight in Southwest Washington

Victim Hit Five Times in February 2017 Attack Near Nationals Park

            WASHINGTON – Delonte Mack, 31, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 13 years in prison on charges stemming from a brazen shooting that took place in broad daylight last year in Southwest Washington, announced U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu and Peter Newsham, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            The victim was shot numerous times at close range and, but for the quick medical attention of a responding Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) officer, could have died.

            Mack was found guilty by a jury on April 17, 2018, of charges of aggravated assault while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, and unlawful possession of a firearm. The verdict followed a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was sentenced by the Honorable Juliet McKenna. Following his prison term, he will be placed on five years of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017, at approximately 12:45 p.m., the victim was standing in front of a carry-out restaurant in the unit block of N Street SW, a short distance from Nationals Park. Without warning, Mack came from an alley running alongside the carry-out and approached the victim from behind. He then opened fire.

            The victim was hit five times, including in the groin, back and arm. During the trial, the surgeon who treated the victim testified how emergency surgery was needed to prevent him from bleeding to death on the operating table. The victim continues to suffer pain and limited mobility as a result of his gunshot wounds, and lost a toe in the attack.

            After the shooting, Mack ran back into the alley and toward the back yard of his nearby home on Carrollsburg Place SW. Minutes later, he sped away in his car, headed into Maryland. An investigation led to his arrest on March 17, 2017, and he has been in custody ever since.  

            Mack was linked to the crime through video from the alley, cell site data, and Internet searches he conducted about the shooting and about “boots for missing toes.” At the time of his arrest, Mack was on supervised release stemming from an earlier firearms case.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Liu and Chief Newsham commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the District of Columbia Department of Forensic Sciences and the FBI’s Cellular Survey Analysis Team. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Tiffany Fogle and Lornce Applewhite; Litigation Technology Specialist Leif Hickling, and Criminal Investigators Durand Odom, Tommy Miller, Mark Crawford, and John Marsh.

            Finally, they commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys John B. Timmer and Laura Crane, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 
Updated July 20, 2018