Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to 28 ½ Years in Prison for Armed Home Invasion in Southeast Washington

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Burst Into Victims’ Home in Middle of the Day

            WASHINGTON - Tracy Medina-Winfield, 26, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to a 28 ½-year prison term for his role in an armed home invasion that took place last year in Southeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips announced.


            Medina-Winfield was found guilty by a jury in June 2017 of first-degree burglary while armed, armed kidnapping, armed robbery, and other offenses. A co-defendant, Jamal Hill, 25, of Laurel, Md., was found guilty of fleeing a law enforcement officer and destruction of property for his role as the getaway driver in the crime. The verdict followed a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. The Honorable Danya A. Dayson sentenced Medina-Winfield today. Following his prison term, Medina-Winfield will be placed on a period of supervised release.


            According to the government’s evidence, on April 3, 2016, at approximately 3:30 p.m., Medina-Winfield, while armed with a handgun and wearing a mask, entered a private home in the 4200 block of Hildreth Street SE while a man and woman were inside. Medina-Winfield pointed the gun in their faces and said, “You know what time it is.” He then asked for the keys to the Audi that was parked outside. While doing this, an unknown suspect entered the home and began looking around for items. Medina-Winfield and his accomplice then asked for the keys to the car that was parked outside, but the victims responded that the car did not belong to them.


            At this point, Medina-Winfield escorted the victims to the upstairs bathroom and made them kneel in the bathtub. One victim told the jury that he believed he was going to die in that moment. They were subsequently asked for the location of their phones. The unknown suspect then found the phones, yelled “got them” to Medina-Winfield, and they left. The male victim followed them outside. According to the government’s evidence, Jamal Hill was in the drivers’ seat of a waiting car. Medina-Winfield, who was seated in the passenger seat, saw the victim, pointed his gun at him and ordered him to get back inside. He and the others then drove off.


            Hill, who had been free on personal recognizance, did not return to court midway through the trial and a bench warrant has been issued for his arrest.


            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Phillips commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. He also expressed appreciation for the efforts of those who handled the case at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Daphne Nelson and Antoinette Sakamsa; Litigation Technology Specialists William Henderson, Paul Howell, and Anisha Bhatia, and Summer Law Clerk William Omorogieva. Finally, he commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Anwar Graves and Rizwan Qureshi, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Updated August 29, 2017

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 17-184