Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Monday, January 5, 2015

District Man Sentenced To 36 Years In Prison For Shooting That Killed Two Victims, Injured AnotherDefendant Shot Victims Inside Car Off North Capitol Street

     WASHINGTON – Jimmie Fleming, 36, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 36 years in prison on charges stemming from a shooting in which two people were killed and another was wounded, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

     Fleming pled guilty in September 2014, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to two counts of voluntary manslaughter while armed for the deaths of Donchell Thomas and Derek Price, and one count of aggravated assault while armed, for the shooting of the third victim. The plea, which was contingent upon the Court’s approval, called for a prison term of 36 years. The Honorable Robert E. Morin accepted the plea and sentenced Fleming accordingly. Upon completion of his prison term, Fleming is to be placed on five years of supervised release.

     According to the government’s evidence, on July 13, 2014, at about 1 a.m., Fleming and a juvenile approached a blue Honda Accord near North Capitol and T Streets NW.  Mr. Price, 20, was the driver of the car, and Mr. Thomas, 21, was in the back seat. A second passenger was in the front seat. Mr. Price agreed to drive Fleming and the juvenile down the street. 

     Fleming and the juvenile entered the back seat, joining Mr. Thomas. As Mr. Price drove the car, Fleming pulled out a gun and fired it at all of the occupants inside the car.  This shooting was unprovoked and without any warning.  Mr. Price and Mr. Thomas were both shot in the head and died from their respective injuries.  The front seat passenger, who survived the incident, was shot multiple times in his torso and arm. The juvenile was not hit by the gunfire.

     Due to the shooting, the car crashed at the intersection of North Capitol and T Streets. Fleming fled from the car on foot and ultimately ran to a nearby house, where he was arrested by the Metropolitan Police Department. A search of the home was conducted later that morning.  Among other things, the police found a bag of ammunition in the defendant’s room. 

     In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of the detectives of the Criminal Investigations Division, crime scene officers, and the Fifth Police District of the Metropolitan Police Department.  He also expressed appreciation to those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Victim/Witness Advocate Veronica Vaughn and Paralegal Specialist Fern Rhedrick.  He also praised the efforts of Assistant U.S. Attorney Shana L. Fulton, who prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015