You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Monday, June 13, 2016

District Man Sentenced to 42 Months in Prison For Causing New Year's Crash in Downtown Washington

Three People Suffered Significant Injuries; Defendant Was Under Influence of Alcohol and Drugs

            WASHINGTON – Malik Lloyd, 25, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to a total of 42 months in prison on charges of felony assault, destruction of property, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs stemming from a car crash early Jan. 1, 2016 in downtown Washington that caused significant injuries to at least three people, U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips announced.

            Lloyd pled guilty on March 30, 2016, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to three counts of assault with significant bodily injury, one count of destruction of property, and one count of driving under the influence of alcohol or a drug.  In a separate case, Lloyd pled guilty on that same date to one count of unlawful possession of a firearm and one count of possession with intent to distribute cocaine.

           The Honorable Zoe Bush sentenced Lloyd to 42 months in prison for the assault and destruction of property charges in connection with the Jan. 1, 2016 incident, as well as six months in prison for driving under the influence, and a 36-month prison term in the separate drug case. The sentences are to run concurrently. After his prison term, Lloyd will be placed on two years of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, on Jan. 1, 2016, at about 1:30 a.m., Lloyd was driving a Chrysler 200 northbound on 17th Street NW. He struck a Honda CRV that was also driving on 17th Street.  After the collision, Lloyd drove away, making a right turn onto L Street NW and driving up onto the sidewalk in front of Barcode, a bar located in the 1600 block of L Street NW. The car that he was driving struck a tree box, tree, and several pedestrians on the sidewalk before finally striking a light pole on the north side of the sidewalk.

            At least 13 people were assaulted as the result of the collision; some were injured directly by the vehicle and others indirectly by flying debris. At least three people incurred significant bodily injury that required immediate hospitalization or medical treatment. After the crash, while being treated by emergency medical personnel, Lloyd stated to the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) that he had two glasses of champagne.

            The MPD officer smelled an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Lloyd’s mouth and observed that Lloyd’s eyes were bloodshot. At Howard University Hospital, Lloyd admitted to drinking in the club and smoking marijuana prior to going there. At the time of testing, his alcohol concentration level was 0.20 grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood, which is beyond the legal limit in the District of Columbia. There was also the presence of marijuana in his blood. Lloyd has been in custody since his arrest after the crash.

            The other case stemmed from a search carried out by law enforcement on Oct. 30, 2014, of Lloyd’s residence in the 6000 block of Clay Street NE. According to the government’s evidence, MPD members found significant quantities of drugs inside the residence, including bottles of liquid PCP and multiple stashes of crack cocaine.  MPD members also found drug paraphernalia, suggesting the packaging and distribution of narcotics, including multiple digital scales, cutting agents, and small “zip” bags used for street-level distribution of narcotics.  MPD members also found boxes of ammunition and three firearms, including two semi-automatic handguns that were found in Lloyd’s bedroom.

            In announcing the sentences, U.S. Attorney Phillips commended the work of those who investigated each of the cases for the Metropolitan Police Department, as well as the District of Columbia Office of the Attorney General, which handled the prosecution of the charge of driving while under the influence.  He also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the DEA and the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.  He acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Tiffany Fogle and Victim/Witness Advocate Diana Lim. Finally, he commended Assistant U.S. Attorneys Katherine Earnest, Michael Romano, Thomas Saunders, and Anwar Graves prosecuted the cases.

Press Release Number: 
Updated June 13, 2016