Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced To 7 ½ Years In Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

For Federal Drug Trafficking Offenses;
Cocaine and Other Drugs Seized in Search of His Apartment;
Drugs Had a Street Value of About $100,000

      WASHINGTON – Eddie P. Burroughs, 24, was sentenced today to 7 ½ years in prison on three federal drug charges stemming from a search by law enforcement that led to the seizure of crack cocaine, powder cocaine, and marijuana from his Southeast Washington apartment, announced U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr.

      Burroughs was found guilty in December 2012 by a jury in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia of possession with intent to distribute large amounts of crack cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana. He was sentenced by the Honorable James E. Boasberg. Upon completion of his prison term, Burroughs will be placed on three years of supervised release.

      According to the government’s evidence at trial, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) executed a search warrant on Dec. 6, 2011 at the defendant’s apartment in the 3400 block of 13th Street SE and found two kilograms of crack cocaine, over 100 grams of powder cocaine, nine pounds of marijuana, almost $10,000 in U.S. currency, and equipment used in the production of crack cocaine.  The narcotics had a street value of approximately $100,000 and were already packaged for wholesale redistribution.

      In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of the MPD detectives, officers, and mobile crime technicians who investigated the case. He also expressed appreciation to the forensic chemist and fingerprint examiner who worked on the case.  Finally, he thanked those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Rommel Pachoca; Intelligence Analyst John Marsh; Assistant U.S. Attorney Vincent Caputy, who assisted with the investigation, and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Magdalena Acevedo and George Eliopoulos, who investigated and tried the case.

Updated February 19, 2015