Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison For Beating And Robbing A Man In Early Evening Attack-Defendant Stole Victim’s IPhone, Wallet And Keys-

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

            WASHINGTON – Marvin Jefferson, 25, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to an eight-year prison term on charges of aggravated assault while armed, armed robbery, and related firearms offenses for attacking a man in Northeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

            Jefferson was found guilty by a jury in April 2014, following a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was sentenced by the Honorable Michael Ryan. Upon completion of his prison term, Jefferson will be placed on five years of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, in the early evening hours of Oct. 28, 2013, Jefferson attacked a man he had just encountered at a liquor store in the 1300 block of North Capitol Street NE. The victim, a 24-year-old engineering graduate of Howard University, had stopped at the store to get a beer. Jefferson, also inside the store, tried to take the victim’s iPhone. The victim put his iPhone in his jacket pocket, paid for his beer, and left the store.

            Jefferson, however, followed the victim to the street. He tried to reach into the victim’s jacket to get the iPhone, and when the victim turned around, Jefferson began striking him. Jefferson hit the victim in the forehead with what appeared to be a gun, causing lacerations. Then, while the victim was in a disoriented and semi-conscious state, Jefferson robbed him of his phone, wallet and keys.  The victim lost consciousness and dropped to the ground, chipping his tooth.  Once he regained consciousness, he flagged down two police officers. A few days after the attack, he was able to identify Jefferson as his attacker.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). He also acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Victim/Witness Services Coordinator La June Thames; Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Clark; Paralegal Specialist Donville Drummond, and Assistant U.S. Attorney John Mannarino. Finally, he expressed appreciation for the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Clayton O’Connor, who secured the indictment, and John P. Fucetola, who prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015