District Man Sentenced To Five Years In Prison For Sexually Assaulting Woman In Southeast Washington-Victim Rejected Advances And Then Was Attacked-
WASHINGTON – A 41-year-old man was sentenced today to five years in prison on a charge stemming from a sexual assault earlier this year against a woman with whom he had a child, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.
The defendant, of Washington, D.C., is not identified here to protect the privacy of the victim and her family. He pled guilty in March 2013 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to attempted first-degree sexual abuse. The Honorable Ronna L. Beck sentenced him. Upon completion of his prison term, the man will be placed on five years of supervised release.
According to the government’s evidence, the defendant and the victim once had a romantic relationship and she is the mother of his teenage child. On or about Jan. 10, 2013, he learned that the victim was involved in a romantic relationship with another man, which upset him. That day, he spoke to the victim on the telephone, demanding sex. When she rejected his advances, he showed up at her house in Southeast Washington, sent their child to the store to buy food, and propositioned her again. When the victim rejected his advances and told him that she was seeing someone, the defendant forced her to the bed and sexually assaulted her. During the assault, the defendant told the victim, among other things, that, “you will always be mine.”
In announcing the sentence plea, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the officers and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Sexual Assault Unit, who investigated the case. He also expressed appreciation to Paralegal Specialists D’Yvonne Key and Kristy Penny, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Mervin A. Bourne, Jr., who investigated and prosecuted the case.13-166