Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to More Than Six Years in Prison For Series of Crimes During 30-Day Period

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Robbed a Man, Committed Pair of Thefts, And Assaulted a Police Officer in Separate Incidents Last May

            WASHINGTON – Desmond Chapman, 35, of Washington, D.C., has been sentenced to a prison term of six years and one month for a series of crimes, including a robbery, two thefts, and an assault on a police officer, that took place over a 30-day period last year, Acting U.S. Attorney Vincent H. Cohen, Jr. announced today.

            Chapman pled guilty in February 2015, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to one count of attempted robbery; one count of second-degree theft with a felony enhancement, and one count of felony assault on a police officer. He was sentenced on April 9, 2015, by the Honorable Juliet J. McKenna.  Upon completion of his prison term, Chapman will be placed on three years of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, the series of crimes began with a robbery incident on May 3, 2014. That day, at approximately 6:30 a.m., the victim got out of a taxicab near First and Kennedy Streets NW.  As the victim was walking, Chapman and another individual, who remains unidentified, attacked him. The victim was blindsided, hit on the side of the face, and had a T-shirt placed over his head.  As the attack continued, the victim was struck several more times in the face and body, while the T-shirt remained over his head.  The victim eventually fell to the ground.  The victim later learned that his wallet containing $200 and credit cards were missing from his back pants pocket.

            Less than two weeks later, on May 15, 2014, at approximately 6:55 p.m., Chapman entered a liquor store in the 5500 block of South Dakota Avenue NE, grabbed two half-gallon bottles of gin, and fled without paying. On May 23, 2014, at approximately 11:45 a.m., Chapman returned to the liquor store and once again snatched two half-gallon bottles of gin, fleeing without paying. Chapman was later identified as the thief from store surveillance footage. He has at least two prior theft convictions; therefore, he qualified for the felony enhancement at sentencing.

            Finally, on May 31, 2014, at approximately 8:15 a.m., an officer with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) saw Chapman at the intersection of First and Kennedy Streets NW.  The officer knew that Chapman had several outstanding warrants. Chapman saw the officer and walked away. She broadcast a look-out for him, and caught up with him after a brief chase that ended in the 5500 block of Kansas Avenue NW. As the officer attempted to apprehend Chapman, he physically resisted, causing her to fall to the ground and hit her head.  Then, as she and another officer struggled with Chapman, he bit her on the left arm and left leg.  Additional officers arrived to aid with Chapman’s apprehension. The officer, who also suffered injuries to her neck, back, and shoulders, was taken to a hospital for treatment.

            In announcing the sentence, Acting U.S. Attorney Cohen commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. He also commended the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali D. Kargbo, of the Felony Major Crimes Trial Section, who investigated and prosecuted the matter; former Assistant U.S. Attorney Shane Waller; and Paralegal Specialist Debra McPherson.

Updated April 14, 2015

Press Release Number: 15-071