Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced To Over 11 Years In Prison For String Of Burglaries In Northwest WashingtonDefendant Committed Crimes While On Release After Earlier Arrest

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

     WASHINGTON - Anthony Hines, 21, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 11 years and two months in prison for a series of crimes, including five burglaries that he carried out while he was awaiting trial in another case, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

     Hines pled guilty in December 2014, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to two counts of first-degree burglary, one count of attempted burglary, and three misdemeanor charges.  He was sentenced by the Honorable John McCabe. Upon completion of his prison term, Hines will be placed on five years of supervised release.

     According to the government’s evidence, Hines was arrested on Sept. 27, 2014 in Southeast Washington for operating a vehicle that was reported stolen earlier that day from College Park, Md. He was released two days later on personal recognizance.

     In the early morning hours of Oct. 18, 2014, Hines entered a residence in the 2600 Block of Woodley Place NW while the residents were sleeping. He stole, among other things, a cellphone and the keys to the victims’ vehicle, which he later stole. Halloween candy also was removed from the residence, and a trail of candy wrappers led to the house next door, which Hines also burglarized. Among the items taken from that residence were a digital camera, an iPad, video games, a bottle of wine, and the keys to a vehicle owned by one of the victims. Members of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) traced the stolen cellphone to a residential building and located the stolen vehicle three blocks away. 

     The next burglary took place at about 3 a.m. on Oct. 21, 2014. Hines entered a residence in the 1900 block of Calvert Street NW, while the victim was sleeping, and stole two iPhones, $150, and a watch. The victim awakened, and Hines ran from the residence.

     Within the hour, Hines entered two more residences in the 1900 block of Belmont Street NW. He damaged a screen at the first residence and set off an alarm at the second. Police quickly responded and arrested him, finding the proceeds from the Calvert Street burglary. Police later executed a search warrant at Hines’s residence and recovered proceeds from numerous burglaries, including the Maryland residence from which the Maryland vehicle was stolen.

     In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work and collaboration of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Second and Third Districts and the Prince George’s County Police Department.  He also acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Allison Daniels and Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Macchiaroli, of the Felony Major Crimes Trial Section, who prosecuted the matter.


Updated February 19, 2015