Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, December 15, 2017

District Man Sentenced to Six Years in Prison for Shooting Man in Early Evening Attack in June 2017

Defendant Fled to Georgia and Was Apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Service

            WASHINGTON – Deangelo Paris Belton, 24, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to six years in prison on a felony charge stemming from a shooting that occurred in June 2017 near a busy intersection in Northeast Washington, announced U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu.


            Belton pled guilty in October 2017, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to one count of aggravated assault while armed. The plea, which was subject to the Court’s approval, called for an agreed-upon sentencing range of five to six years in prison.  The Honorable Judith Bartnoff accepted the plea and sentenced Belton accordingly. Following his prison term, Belton will be placed on five years of supervised release.


            According to the government’s evidence, on June 12, 2017, at approximately 6:20 p.m., the victim was walking near the intersection of Nannie Helen Burroughs and Minnesota Avenues NE when he passed Belton and two other males. The victim and Belton knew one another, and the victim is the father of Belton’s cousin’s child. Belton and the victim briefly exchanged words about whether Belton was still mad at the victim for a fistfight they had several months earlier.


            During this exchange, Belton pulled out a handgun and fired several shots at the victim, hitting him and causing him to fall in the street. Belton then fired several more shots at the victim before fleeing.  The victim sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his abdomen and waist that required surgery, hospitalization, and ongoing rehabilitation and treatment.


            Following the shooting, Belton fled to Georgia. He was later apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Service and brought back to the District of Columbia in August 2017 to face charges.


            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Liu commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).  She also expressed appreciation for the work of the U.S. Marshals Service. She acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Tiffany Fogle, Intelligence Analyst Zachary McMenamin, and Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Allen.  Finally, U.S. Attorney Liu commended Assistant U.S. Attorney Natasha Smalky, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 
Updated December 15, 2017