Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to Three-Year Prison Term For Burglary of Home in Northwest Washington

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Fingerprints Also Link Defendant to Second Burglary in Area

            WASHINGTON – Michael Mosley, 43, of Washington, D.C., has been sentenced to a prison term of three years for a burglary last fall of a residence in Northwest Washington, Acting U.S. Attorney Vincent H. Cohen, Jr. announced today.

            Moseley pled guilty in February 2015, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to one count of second-degree burglary and one count of a felony bail reform act violation.  He was sentenced on April 13, 2015, by the Honorable Anita Josey-Herring.  Upon completion of his prison term, Mosley will be placed on one year of supervised release.

            According to the government’s evidence, the burglary occurred on Oct. 1, 2014.  The victim left his residence in the 1700 block of Newton Street NW, in the Mount Pleasant area, at approximately 11 a.m. and returned prior to 5 p.m.  When the victim returned home, he noticed that the front door to his residence was forced open.  After calling police and walking through his residence, the victim reported the following items missing: a 46-inch flat screen television; a Mac mini-computer; two portable external hard-drives; and an iPhone 4S.

            Coincidentally, about 20 minutes before the discovery of the burglary, a Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) officer stopped Mosley on the same block of Newton Street.  Mosley was carrying a flat-screen television over his head while carrying a black shoulder bag, which appeared to be filled with contents. The officer made contact with Mosley and asked him for identification.  The officer noted the television’s serial number, but let Mosley go on his way because there was no probable cause for arrest at that point.

            Approximately twenty minutes later, the same officer received a report of the burglary in the same area.  MPD officers canvassed the area looking for Mosley, but were unsuccessful. He was ultimately arrested on a warrant weeks later.

            According to the government’s evidence, latent fingerprints lifted from another residential burglary on Ingleside Terrace NW, on Sept. 23, 2014, matched Mosley.

            Additionally, on Dec. 16, 2014, as a condition of his release in the pending burglary case, Mosley signed notice and promised to appear in court on Jan. 15, 2015.  Mosley failed to appear in court, and that led to the charge for the felony bail reform act violation.

            In announcing the sentence, Acting U.S. Attorney Cohen commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. He also commended the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali D. Kargbo, of the Felony Major Crimes Trial Section, who investigated and prosecuted the matter; and Paralegal Specialist Debra McPherson.

Updated April 14, 2015

Press Release Number: 15-075