Skip to main content
Press Release

Florida Man Sentenced On Felony and Misdemeanor Charges Related to Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Joined in Assaults on Officers at Lower West Terrace

            WASHINGTON – A Florida man was sentenced today in the District of Columbia on felony and misdemeanor offenses for his actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol breach. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election. 

            Tristan Chandler Stevens, 27, of Pensacola, Florida, was sentenced to 60 months in prison on four counts of assaulting or aiding and abetting in assaulting law enforcement officers, one count of interfering with law enforcement officers during a civil disorder, all felonies, and four misdemeanor charges: disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds; engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly conduct in a Capitol Building; and committing an act of violence in the Capitol Building or grounds.  

            Stevens was found guilty on September 13, 2022, following a bench trial. In addition to the prison term, U.S. District Judge Trevor N. McFadden ordered 24 months of supervised release, $2,000 restitution, and a $500 fine. 

            According to the government’s evidence, on Jan. 6, 2021, Stevens traveled to Washington, D.C. and illegally made his way on to the restricted grounds of the U.S. Capitol. Stevens taunted officers at the West Front. He and two co-defendants ultimately broke through the police line after approximately 2:30 p.m., when the line on the West Front failed under the siege of the advancing mob. Each of the defendants scaled the Southwest scaffolding and staircase, to converge together at the tunnel created by the inaugural platform structure on the Lower West Terrace of the Capitol Building.  

            At the Lower West Terrace, officers of the U.S. Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police Department guarded the entrance door to the Capitol from the mob for several hours. Between 2:41 p.m. and 3:19 p.m., Stevens and his co-defendants attempted to break into the building by directing other rioters, participating in heave-ho pushes against the police line, using riot shields stolen from the Capitol Police, and assaulting numerous officers. Stevens was a key player in the melee. Even after officers finally cleared the tunnel area, Stevens illegally remained on Capitol grounds.  

            The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Valuable assistance was provided by the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Florida.   

            The case is being investigated by the FBI’s Washington and Jacksonville Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department. The FBI’s Washington Field Office identified Stevens as #64 on its seeking information photos. 

            In the 26 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 999 individuals have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 320 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement. The investigation remains ongoing.   

            Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Updated March 10, 2023

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 23-136