Skip to main content
Press Release

Indiana Couple Sentenced on Felony Charge for Actions During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

            WASHINGTON – An Indiana couple was sentenced today on a felony charge related to their conduct during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Their actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

            Arthur Reyher, 38, of Brownsburg, Indiana, was sentenced to eight months in prison, three years of supervised release, ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution, and ordered to serve 200 hours of community service. Jessica Reyher was sentenced to 90 days in prison, three years of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution. The couple was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Reggie B. Walton.

            Arthur and Jessica Reyher both pleaded guilty to a felony offense of obstruction of law enforcement during a civil disorder on Nov. 6, 2023.

            According to court documents, the Reyhers traveled from Brownsburg, Indiana, to Washington, D.C., to attend the "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6, 2021. After watching the former President's speech, the Reyhers marched to the U.S. Capitol building and entered the restricted perimeter at the West Front. Here, the Reyhers witnessed a chaotic scene as tear gas and other chemical irritants filled the air, emergency warning systems blared, bike racks littered the ground, and the line of police officers was under constant attack from a mob of rioters.

            Rioters at the West Front eventually overwhelmed police and caused officers to retreat to the Lower West Terrace and escape into the nearest entrance to the Capitol building, a narrow hallway known as the Tunnel, created by the construction of the Inauguration stage and the site of some of the most violent attacks against law enforcement on January 6th. Rioters at the Tunnel battled officers for hours as they attempted to storm the Capitol building.

            After making it through the crowds on the West Front, the Reyhers made their way to the Tunnel and entered at about 2:43 p.m. Once inside, the two quickly pushed to the front of the crowd of rioters and joined others in aggressively pushing against the established police line.

            At about 2:50 p.m., Arthur and Jessica participated in a series of coordinated pushes against the police line in the Tunnel. Court records say that one rioter coordinated the mob's efforts by making "1, 2, 3" gestures with his hand and yelling "PUSH!" Court documents say that Arthur and Jessica combined their body weight with others in the crowd to physically push back against the assembled police line. 

            Shortly after, police gained ground in the Tunnel and coordinated a counter-push. The mob of rioters fell back, and the Reyhers were expelled from the Tunnel. At approximately 3:04 p.m., Arthur and Jessica reentered the Tunnel and again pushed their way to the front of the pack of rioters. The duo again joined with others and used their body weight to physically push, in unison, against the police line. At about 3:05 p.m., a chemical irritant was sprayed inside the Tunnel, causing the Reyhers to leave. The two then stood outside the Archway entrance and yelled "PUSH!" and patted rioters on the back as they entered the Tunnel.

            Shortly thereafter, another individual came out from the Tunnel and yelled several times, "We are almost through!" Arthur Reyher then exclaimed, "PUSH!" and "OUR HOUSE!" At that point, another rioter turned to Arthur and Jessica and said, "Hey guys, are you going in or not? The couple then rushed into the Tunnel for the third time and joined the collective efforts to push against the police line. As the Reyhers thrust their collective body weight into the police line, one officer could be heard screaming in agonizing pain as they were smashed between a shield and a metal door frame. After their third time entering the Tunnel, the Reyhers exited once more.

            At about 3:17 p.m., Arthur Reyher stood outside of the Tunnel and again joined rioters in repeatedly pushing in unison against the police line. The pushing continued for several minutes until police were able to expel the rioters from the Tunnel.

            The FBI arrested Arthur and Jessica on March 15, 2023, in Indianapolis, Indiana.

            This case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division's Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Indiana.

            This case was investigated by the FBI's Indianapolis and Washington Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

            In the 37 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,313 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 469 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.

            Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Updated February 28, 2024

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-185