Skip to main content
Press Release

Man Arrested After Standoff Left Three Officers Shot

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Shot at Officers Attempting to Serve an Animal Cruelty Warrant

            WASHINGTON – Stephen Claude Rattigan, also known as Julius James, 48, of Washington, D.C., has been charged with assault with intent to kill while armed, assault on a police officer while armed, and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence following the shooting of three Metropolitan Police Department officers and an hours-long standoff in Southeast DC. He is also being charged with misdemeanor cruelty to animals. The announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and Chief Pamela Smith, of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Rattigan made his initial appearance before Superior Court Magistrate Judge Renee Raymond today, where he was ordered held without bond pending a preliminary hearing on February 29, 2024 before Judge Maribeth Raffinan.

            According to court documents, on February 14, 2024, officers from the Metropolitan Police Department responded to Rattigan’s residence in the 5000 block of Hanna Place Southeast to execute an arrest warrant because of a complaint of animal cruelty. That warrant stemmed from an incident in April 2023 in which Rattigan was captured by a security camera beating one of his dogs several times in the face. On January 12, 2024, an Animal Control Investigator visited the residence to address the issue of the number of animals on the property and the need for a permit. Previously on January 8, 2024, a Humane Society Officer visited Rattigan’s residence to address the issue of inhumane living conditions for the animals based on complaints received.

            On the day of arrest, law enforcement officers approached Rattigan’s residence and identified themselves as police officers, in an attempt to arrest Rattigan on the outstanding arrest warrant. Upon law enforcement’s entry into the home, Rattigan opened fire, shooting and striking several officers. Rattigan barricaded himself inside the residence for more than 12 hours until he was taken into custody later in the day. After the arrest, authorities removed 31 dogs from his home. The law enforcement officers who were struck are all currently in stable condition.

            This case is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department. It is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Goldstein.

             A complaint is merely an allegation, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

Updated February 22, 2024

Animal Welfare
Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-137