Skip to main content
Press Release

Maryland Man Sentenced To More Than Nine Years In Prison For Pair Of Robberies In Northwest Washington-Defendant Attacked Two Women From Behind-

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

     WASHINGTON – Raymond Jones, 23, has been sentenced to serve nine years and eight months in prison for a pair of robberies that targeted women in Northwest Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced today.

     Jones, whose last known address was in Prince George’s County, Md., pled guilty in July 2013, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to robbery in one case and attempted robbery in the other.  The Honorable Michael Ryan sentenced him on Nov. 15, 2013, to 17 years in prison for the crimes, but suspended some of that time on the condition that he successfully complete three years of supervised probation following his release from prison. Jones also must pay $610 in restitution to the victims.

     According to the government’s evidence, on May 29, 2012, at about 6 p.m., Jones was seen pulling open a locked door to an apartment building in the 6100 block of 16th Street NW. He then attacked the victim as she walked through a fourth-floor hallway. He approached her from behind, put his right arm around her neck, and began choking her.

     The victim fell and was pinned against the ground and the wall, while being choked by Jones, who then snatched her purse and an iPod from her hand. Believing that she would be killed, the victim reached back and pulled out one of Jones’s dreadlocks in the hopes that the police might find it and her attacker.  Jones eventually released her and fled.

     In the second attack, on Aug. 7, 2012, at 6:30 a.m., Jones accosted another woman as she walked to a bus stop in the 1500 block of Missouri Avenue NW. He struck the woman from behind, causing her to fall to the ground.  Then he struggled with her, trying to wrestle away her purse.  Jones then stole her purse and other items, which included a cell phone, cash, and earrings.  The victim in this case suffered a fractured jaw. The injury required surgery and the victim’s jaw was shut for six weeks.

     Jones previously was convicted of robbery in two other incidents, which took place in 2006 and 2007. Both times, he attacked victims from behind. During the investigation of the 2007 robbery, Jones admitted to police that he had carried out similar attacks.

     In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of those who investigated the crimes from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). He also acknowledged the efforts of those who handled the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Todd McClelland, Lynda Randolph, and Lynette Briggs; Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Clark; Information Technology Specialists Kimberly Smith and Anisha Bhatia; former Assistant U.S. Attorney Seth Adam Meinero, who investigated the case; Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Rickard, of the Appellate Section, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Phil Selden, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015