You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Maryland Man Sentenced To Six-Year Prison Term For Assaulting A Man In Christmas Eve Attack Near Metro Station- Charges Included The Wearing Of A Mask While Committing A Crime-

     WASHINGTON - Michael Anthony Hartley, 22, of Temple Hills, Md., was sentenced today to six years in prison for attacking a man on Christmas Eve 2012 near a Metro station in Northeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

     Hartley was found guilty in April 2013, following a jury trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, of assault with intent to commit robbery while armed; assault with significant bodily injuries; malicious destruction of property, and wearing a hood or mask concealing his identity while committing these offenses. He was sentenced by the Honorable Michael Ryan.  Upon completion of his prison term, Hartley will be placed on five years of supervised release.

     According to the government’s evidence, on Dec. 24, 2012, at about 3:30 p.m., the victim was leaving the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station and was on his way home. He was putting his iPhone in his pants pockets when he encountered Hartley, a stranger. Both men exchanged a perfunctory greeting of "hey" as they walked past each other.

     Seconds later, the victim noticed that Hartley was walking shoulder-to-shoulder with him.  However, Hartley now was wearing a hoodie over his head and a mask covering his mouth.  Hartley demanded the victim’s iPhone. He told the victim that he had a gun, put his hand in his jacket-pocket, and made a gesture as if pointing the weapon. The victim tried to get away, but Hartley caught him. At this point, Hartley shoved the victim while loudly demanding the iPhone.  A bystander happened to walk by and called the police.

     Before police could get to the scene, Hartley punched the victim in the face at least twice with a closed fist, causing significant injuries, including facial lacerations. Hartley also broke the victim’s eyeglasses. During the entire attack, Hartley was wearing a hoodie over his head and a mask covering part of his face to conceal his identity.  The police arrived while Hartley was still on the scene, and the victim pointed him out as the person who tried to rob him.

     In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).  He also acknowledged the efforts of those worked on the matter for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Tameka Garcia and Litigation Technology Specialist Thomas Royal. Finally, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney John C. Truong, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015