Skip to main content
Press Release

Missouri Man Found Guilty of Felony and Misdemeanor Charges for Actions During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

            WASHINGTON – A Missouri man was found guilty in the District of Columbia today of multiple felony and misdemeanor offenses related to his conduct during the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

            A federal jury convicted John George Todd III, 34, of Blue Springs, Missouri, of felony offenses of obstruction of an official proceeding and assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers that inflicted bodily harm on law enforcement.

          In addition to the felonies, Todd was convicted of misdemeanor offenses of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly conduct in a Capitol building, and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building.

          U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell will sentence Todd on May 10, 2024.

          According to evidence presented during the trial, Todd traveled from his home in Missouri to Washington, D.C., to “wreak havoc” in the wake of the 2020 presidential election. Court documents say that Todd knew that the United States Congress was certifying the results of the Presidential Election that day and arrived at the Ellipse to attend the ‘Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6, 2021. After the rally, Todd made his way to the Capitol building, carrying a makeshift flagpole, which appeared to be made from a tent pole, with a flag tied to the end.

          Todd illegally entered the Capitol grounds on the west side, bypassing large groups of rioters who were pushing down fencing and confronting law enforcement officers. At approximately 2:40 p.m., Todd climbed the temporary bleachers, which had been erected for the upcoming Presidential Inauguration, and approached the Upper West Terrace of the Capitol building. Todd entered the building at approximately 2:45 p.m. and proceeded to the Rotunda, where he encountered multiple United States Capitol Police (USCP) and Metropolitan Police Department Officers (MPD). Despite repeated orders to leave the Rotunda, Todd aggressively and profanely rebuffed and threatened officers. In one encounter, Todd yelled at an MPD officer, “I will hip toss you into the f— crowd!” When instructed to move back and/or leave, Todd repeatedly refused, yelling things such as, “I’m not f— moving!”

          Law enforcement officers in the Rotunda soon began an effort to clear the area of rioters; however, Todd dug in his feet and body, refusing to move. Still holding his makeshift flagpole, Todd screamed at officers that he was not leaving. An MPD officer then grabbed the end of the flagpole in an attempt to prevent it from injuring anyone in the crowd. A brief tussle then ensued between Todd and the MPD officer, during which the pole snapped. Todd then yanked the pole from the officer’s hand, causing the splintered fragments to gash open the officer’s finger. Todd then yelled at the officer and those around him, “Throw down your badge and gun, let’s go one-on-one!” The officer’s injury required hospitalization and stitches.

          Later, after being physically forced from the building, Todd continued to confront law enforcement outside the building and refused to comply with further commands to leave. In one instance, Todd approached a line of police officers with riot shields on the Upper West Terrace and yelled, “F— you p—! Put your shields down and fight!” Later, in response to a direct order to leave the premises, Todd responded, “I’m on f— public property, I don’t gotta do anything. My f— taxes pay for this s—I’m on f— public property, I’m not moving.”

          Court documents say that when his aggressive shouting failed to instigate a fight, Todd proceeded to the Lower West Terrace Tunnel and then to the perimeter of the Capitol grounds, where he marched in front of a line of police officers and gave an interview. During the interview, Todd was asked, “What should the people do now?” to which he responded, “The people should do now is actually stand up and fight, because if we don’t do it now, it’ll never f— happen.”

          Todd was arrested on May 10, 2022, in Missouri.

          This case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri.

          This case is being investigated by the FBI’s Kansas City and Washington Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the United States Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

          In the 37 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,313 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 469 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.

          Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Updated February 7, 2024

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-106