Skip to main content
Press Release

New Jersey Man Sentenced on Felony Charge for Actions During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

            WASHINGTON – A New Jersey man was sentenced today on a felony charge related to his conduct during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

            Peter Michael Krill, Jr., 55, of Sewell, New Jersey, was sentenced to nine months in prison, 12 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution by U.S. District Court Chief Judge James E. Boasberg. Krill pleaded guilty to a felony charge of civil disorder on Oct. 10, 2023.

            According to court documents, Krill traveled from his home in New Jersey to attend the "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6, 2021. After the rally, Krill, wearing camouflage pants, a "Trump 2020" sweatshirt, a helmet, and goggles, walked to the U.S. Capitol building with a large crowd to protest Congress' certification of the Electoral College.

            At approximately 1:35 p.m., Krill moved to the front of a large crowd that had begun clashing with United States Capitol Police and Metropolitan Department Police officers along the permitter of bike rack barriers on the West Front of the Capitol grounds. Krill then grabbed part of the bike rack barricade and pulled it away from the officers, causing a confrontation between police and rioters. A group of protestors, including Krill, then broke through the perimeter.

            After Krill and other rioters broke through the line of officers, Krill climbed with other rioters up the steps on the west side of the Capitol, and through north side scaffolding that had been set up for the Inauguration. While up on the scaffolding, Krill took videos and broadcast them to his TikTok account, titled “petekrilldontgiveafuck.” First, Krill took a video from the scaffolding depicting fellow rioters on the Inauguration scaffolding and the growing crowd below.

            After broadcasting two videos to TikTok, Krill joined the large crowd entering the Capitol building at about 2:36 p.m. He entered the Capitol building via the Upper West Terrace door and went to the Rotunda. At approximately 3:00 p.m., a group of police officers entered the Rotunda and began to clear the room of rioters, including Krill; however, court documents say that Krill disregarded commands to leave the Rotunda and instead attempted to hold his position and was one of the last rioters to leave the Rotunda area.

            Krill exited the Capitol building via the East Rotunda doors at about 3:23 p.m. He was arrested on Dec. 15, 2022, by the FBI in New Jersey.

            This case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division's Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and District of New Jersey.

            This case is being investigated by the FBI's Philadelphia Field Office’s Capital Area Resident Agency and Washington Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

            In the 37 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,313 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 469 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.

            Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Updated February 9, 2024

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-120