You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Repeat Offender Sentenced to 33 Months in Prison for Escaping from a Halfway House in Southeast Washington

Defendant Committed a Carjacking After Escaping; Prosecution is Part of Ongoing Effort to Prosecute Federal Escapees

            WASHINGTON – Daquan Jackson, 22, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 33 months in prison for escaping from a halfway house in the District of Columbia, announced U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu and Robert Turner, United States Marshal for the District of Columbia.

            Jackson pled guilty in September 2018 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, to escape from custody. He was sentenced by the Honorable Trevor N. McFadden. Following his prison term, Jackson will be placed on three years of supervised release.

            Jackson is the most recent defendant to be sentenced as a result of ongoing efforts of the U.S. Marshals Service and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to arrest violent offenders who escape from halfway houses. The offenders were under the supervision of the Federal Bureau of Prisons and were afforded an opportunity to complete the final portion of their sentences at halfway houses to assist in their reentry to the community. In 2017, the U.S. Marshals Service requested the assistance of the U.S. Attorney’s Office with the investigation, prosecution, and disposition of an increased number of escape cases. To date, the collaborative effort has led to 23 felony convictions of defendants who either failed to report or absconded from the Hope Village Halfway House located in Southeast Washington.

            According to the government’s evidence, on June 13, 2014, Jackson was convicted of armed robbery in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was sentenced to five years in prison, to be followed by five years of supervised release. In that case, Jackson, armed with a handgun, approached two victims in an alley behind the 3500 block of B Street SE. He pointed his handgun at the victims and took their property, which included a cell phone and car keys. Jackson used the car keys to steal a 2006 Ford Mustang that belonged to one of the victims.

            After being sentenced for armed robbery, Jackson served the remainder of his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution-Gilmer in Glenville, West Virginia. Jackson was subsequently found eligible to complete the remainder of his sentence at Hope Village. This placement was voluntary and required Jackson’s consent. On May 3, 2017, Jackson signed a Furlough Application acknowledging his understanding of the terms of the furlough release conditions and transfer to Hope Village. Jackson’s Conditions of Furlough included Jackson’s agreement that while on furlough, he would be subject to prosecution for escape if he failed to return to the institution at the designated time.

            On Aug. 8, 2017, Jackson arrived at Hope Village. On Aug. 23, 2017, Jackson signed out of Hope Village and never returned. Twenty-four hours later, on Aug. 24, 2017, while on escape status, Jackson robbed a pedestrian, took his keys, and then drove away with the victim’s vehicle. The vehicle was subsequently located by the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). When MPD officers attempted to stop Jackson in the victim’s vehicle, Jackson fled from law enforcement and crashed into a parked vehicle. Jackson was prosecuted for the crimes he committed on Aug. 24, 2017, and sentenced in February 2018 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to three years in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release, on the felony offenses of attempted robbery and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

            As part of his sentence for escape from custody, Judge McFadden ordered Jackson’s 33-month sentence be consecutive to his Superior Court sentence for the two felony offenses that he committed after absconding from the halfway house.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Liu and Marshal Turner commended the work of those who investigated the case. They also cited the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, including Assistant U.S. Attorney Anthony Scarpelli who coordinated the referral of escape cases, Assistant U.S. Attorney Vincent Caputy, who indicted the case, Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Macchiaroli, who prosecuted the case, and Paralegal Specialists Kim Hall, Teesha Tobias, and Candace Battle.

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 
Updated November 27, 2018