Skip to main content
Press Release

Three Men Sentenced To Prison Terms For 2011 Murder In Southeast WashingtonDefendants Lured Victim To Scene, Stabbed, And Robbed Him; Attack Captured On Victim’s 911 Call

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

      WASHINGTON – Wayne Jackson, 23, of Capitol Heights, Md., Harold Proctor, 20, of Upper Marlboro, Md., and Christopher Williams, 21, of Landover, Md., were sentenced today to prison terms of 24 years, 19 years, and 22 years, respectively, for the 2011 slaying of a man in Southeast Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced today.

      The defendants pled guilty in November 2012, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to second-degree murder while armed and related charges. Proctor and Williams also pled guilty to obstructing justice for their role in attempting to interfere in the murder investigation. They were sentenced by the Honorable Ronna L. Beck. Upon completion of their prison terms, the defendants will be placed on five years of supervised release.

      At the sentencings today, Judge Beck noted the viciousness of the murder, and expressed sympathy for the victim’s family.

      According to the government’s evidence, on Dec. 17, 2011, the defendants and a co-conspirator, who previously pled guilty in this case, devised a plan to rob and assault the victim, Kevin Blackwell, Jr., 20. Proctor drove Williams, Jackson, and the co-conspirator to the 900 block of Burns Street SE, and the co-conspirator lured the victim outside.  Armed with a knife and brass knuckles, Williams and Jackson got out of the car and waited to ambush Mr. Blackwell. Proctor and the co-conspirator kept the car idling nearby. 

      At about 10:30 p.m., when Mr. Blackwell came into sight, Williams and Jackson chased him down the street.  Mr. Blackwell tripped and fell to the ground, and Williams and Jackson attacked him with the knife and brass knuckles.  Proctor drove the car to the location where the victim fell, got out of the car, and joined in the attack.  Jackson stabbed the victim in the chest.  During the attack, Mr. Blackwell was able to call 911 on his cell phone and the robbery and murder were captured on the 911 call.

      The defendants took Mr. Blackwell’s cell phone and North Face jacket and fled the area.  Proctor drove the defendants and the co-conspirator away from the scene and back into Maryland.  The next day, the victim’s cell phone and North Face jacket were discovered in Proctor’s bedroom. 

      During the investigation into the murder, both Proctor and Williams contacted the co-conspirator and asked the co-conspirator to mislead law enforcement by blaming the other for the murder.  Williams also threatened the co-conspirator if the co-conspirator “snitched.”

      In announcing the sentences, U.S. Attorney Machen praised the work of the detectives, officers, and crime scene technicians who investigated the case for the Metropolitan Police Department.  He also commended the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Ethel Gregory, Marian Russell, and Sandra Lane; Lead Paralegal Sharon Newman; Victim/Witness Advocate Tamara Ince, and Criminal Investigator John Marsh.  Finally, U.S. Attorney Machen recognized Assistant U.S. Attorneys Stephen Gripkey and Kimberley Nielsen, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015