Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, March 8, 2013

Two Men Sentenced To Prison Terms For Robbery Of Seven Men In Northwest Washington-Early-Morning Attack Took Place In Courtyard-

      WASHINGTON – Torrell Page, 21, was sentenced today to five years in prison on charges stemming from a robbery in which he and a 17-year-old accomplice targeted seven men in a courtyard in Northwest Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

      The co-defendant, Isaiah Harris, 17, was sentenced today to a two-year prison term, with all but six months of the time suspended on the condition that he successfully complete three years of supervised release. Harris also was ordered to perform 80 hours of community service.

      Page pled guilty to robbery and Harris pled guilty to attempted robbery in December 2012 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. They were sentenced by the Honorable Florence Pan. Upon completion of his prison term, Page will be placed on three years of supervised release. He and Harris also must make restitution to the victims.

      According to the government’s evidence, on Oct. 13, 2012, at about 12:35 a.m., Page and Harris staged their attack in a courtyard in the 900 block of Gallatin Street NW. They approached their first victim in the rear of the courtyard, grabbing him and throwing him to the ground. Page pointed what appeared to be a semi-automatic firearm at the victim’s chest.  He then pointed it at six other men, who were standing in the courtyard. Page yelled, “Hands up or I’ll kill y’all.” Harris then went into each of the victims’ pockets and took their personal property, including wallets, debit cards, cellphones and other items.

      Page and Harris fled the courtyard and the victims chased them through the neighborhood.  Both defendants were stopped by the police and identified by each of the seven victims as the men who had robbed them of their property. The weapon, which had been spray painted and taped over to look like a semiautomatic firearm, turned out to be a paintball gun.

      In announcing the sentences, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of the officers and others who investigated the case for the Metropolitan Police Department. He also praised those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Debra McPherson and Todd McClelland, and Intelligence Specialist Sharon Johnson. Finally, he thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Phil Selden, of the Fourth District Unit of the Felony Major Crimes Section, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated February 19, 2015