Skip to main content
Press Release

Utah Man Arrested for Assaulting Law Enforcement and Other Charges During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Accused of Lunging at Police with a Stun Gun

              WASHINGTON — A Utah man has been arrested on felony and misdemeanor charges, including for allegedly assaulting law enforcement officers during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

              Zach Rash, 24, of Payson, Utah, is charged in a criminal complaint filed in the District of Columbia with felony offenses of obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder and assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers and inflicting bodily injury.

              In addition to the felonies, Rash is charged with several misdemeanor offenses, including entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly conduct in a Capitol building or Grounds, act of physical violence in the Capitol grounds or buildings.

              The FBI arrested Rash today in Payson and he will make his initial appearance in Utah District Court.

              According to court documents, Rash traveled to Washington, D.C., from Utah to attend the former President's rally on Jan. 6, 2021. Rash later made his way to the West Plaza on Capitol grounds with a crowd of rioters that confronted an established police line. At approximately 2:28 p.m., the police line on the West Plaza collapsed, forcing officers to retreat toward the U.S. Capitol building. In response, rioters climbed stairs and scaffolding to the Lower and Upper West Terrace. Open-source video footage captured Rash among the initial wave of rioters to overtake the Lower West Terrace. Rash is seen carrying a fire extinguisher.

              Rash then moved toward the Inauguration Tunnel Entrance, or the Tunnel, on the Lower West Terrace. The Tunnel was the site of some of the most violent attacks against law enforcement on January 6th. Rioters at the Tunnel battled police officers for hours as they attempted to storm the Capitol building. Rash entered the Tunnel at approximately 2:50 p.m.

              Rash moved to various locations inside the Tunnel and eventually moved toward the front of the crowd of rioters. In Capitol building closed-circuit television footage (CCTV), another rioter is seen removing a stun gun from his pocket and sparking it to ensure that it was operational. After this rioter ensured that the stun gun was operational, the rioter waived the stun gun and offered it to others. Rash then reached for the stun gun and took it.

              Seconds later, Rash, with the stun gun in his right hand, allegedly lunged toward officers in the Tunnel. Approximately 20 seconds later, Rash again allegedly lunged at officers a second time with the stun gun. Court documents say that Rash triggered the stun gun numerous times in the Tunnel, including the moment he lunged toward officers. At approximately 2:54 p.m., Rash turned around to exit the Tunnel and passed the stun gun to an unidentified rioter. After Rash left the Tunnel, he encouraged other rioters to enter and join the ongoing melee. He remained near the Tunnel entrance for several minutes, chanting and engaging with rioters.

              Rash re-entered the Tunnel at approximately 2:57 p.m., making his way to the front of the mob and allegedly joining a coordinated "Heve-Ho" push by rioters against police. At certain points in this push, CCTV footage captured Rash yelling at other rioters, apparently encouraging and directing their actions. Several minutes later, at approximately 3:00 p.m., CCTV footage and open-source images captured Rash climbing above other rioters and allegedly helping pass a police shield.

              Rash then jumped forward to a position at the front of the mob. In this position, open-source footage captured Rash allegedly obstructing officers' efforts to close a door. Rash, along with other rioters, struggled with officers to keep the door open, facilitating ongoing attempts by rioters to assault and push through officers in the Tunnel. Rash remained in this position for nearly 10 minutes until approximately 3:13 p.m. At this time, Rash moved toward the Tunnel entrance, eventually departing the Tunnel at 3:15 p.m.

              The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division's Counterterrorism Section are prosecuting this case. The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Utah provided valuable assistance.

              The FBI's Salt Lake City and Washington Field Offices are investigating this case. The U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department provided valuable assistance.

              In the 38 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,358 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 486 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.

              Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

              A complaint is merely an allegation, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

Updated April 2, 2024

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-280