You are here

Federal Crimes Victims Rights

Federal law states:

A crime victim has the following rights:

  • The right to be reasonably protected from the accused.
  • The right to reasonable, accurate, and timely notice of any public court proceeding, or any parole proceeding, involving the crime or of any release or escape of the accused.
  • The right not to be excluded from any such public court proceeding, unless the court, after receiving clear and convincing evidence, determines that testimony by the victim would be materially altered if the victim heard other testimony at that proceeding.
  • The right to be reasonably heard at any public proceeding in the district court involving release, plea, sentencing, or any parole proceeding.
  • The reasonable right to confer with the attorney for the Government in the case.
  • The right to full and timely restitution as provided in law.
  • The right to proceedings free from unreasonable delay.
  • The right to be treated with fairness and with respect for the victim's dignity and privacy.
  • The right to be informed in a timely manner of any plea bargain or deferred prosecution agreement.
  • The right to be informed of the rights under this section and the services described in section 503(c) of the Victims' Rights and Restitution Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 10607(c)) and provided contact information for the Office of the Victims' Rights Ombudsman of the Department of Justice.


We will make our best efforts to ensure you are accorded the rights described. You can seek the advice of an attorney with respect to these rights.

If you are a victim of a crime being prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia or the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, and you believe that you have not received all the rights and services listed above, please contact the Victim Witness Assistance Unit at (202) 252-7130. We will work with you to see that you receive your rights.

If you believe that an employee of the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia failed to provide you with one or more of the federal victims’ rights listed above, you may file an administrative complaint, as provided under 28 CFR section 45.10. Administrative complaints are submitted to the Justice Department's Victims' Rights Ombudsman. For more information, go to You may contact the Ombudsman by email at, or by phone at (877) 574-9302. 

Alleging Failure of Department of Justice Employee To Provide Rights to a Crime Victim under The Crime Victims' Rights Act of 2004

Updated July 21, 2016

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No