You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Eastern District of Virginia

Friday, December 16, 2016

Drug Dealer Sentenced for Beating and Kidnapping Ex-Girlfriend

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Ahmad Sayed Hashimi, aka Jimmy Hashimi, of Woodbridge, was sentenced today to 25 years in prison for his role in beating and kidnapping his ex-girlfriend, in addition to leading drug distribution conspiracies.

Hashimi was indicted by a grand jury on four counts: 1) Conspiracy to Distribute Oxycodone; 2) Conspiracy to Distribute Cocaine; 3) Kidnapping; and 4) Interstate Domestic Violence. On September 29, after a three-day jury trial, he was convicted of all four counts. 

According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, from approximately November 2009 through March 2015, Hashimi created and managed a wide ranging drug distribution scheme involving both powder cocaine and oxycodone obtained fraudulently from pharmacies.  He distributed these drugs in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.  Hashimi’s drug distribution schemes involved at least 46.5 kilograms of powder cocaine and at least 30,000 30mg oxycodone pills, approximately 9,000 of which have been directly attributed to Hashimi.  Ten co-conspirators have been convicted federally in connection with Hashimi’s drug schemes, and another 13 conspirators have been convicted in state courts.

According to court records and evidence presented at trial, Hashimi relied heavily on other people to distribute his drugs for him, believing that doing so insulated him from law enforcement attention. In the summer of 2011, Hashimi recruited his girlfriend, H.D., to begin assisting him with his cocaine scheme. Shortly thereafter, Hashimi concocted and pursued an opportunity to obtain oxycodone using fraudulent prescriptions passed at pharmacies. In connection with this scheme, Hashimi once again directed H.D. to act as a shield, recruiting runners to obtain pills from pharmacies, and obtaining and distributing the pills on his behalf.  The money from the scheme was returned to and controlled by Hashimi.   

According to court records and evidence presented at trial, throughout their relationship, Hashimi was extremely controlling of H.D., including regularly assaulting her by punching her in the head and face causing bruising and bleeding. On several occasions, neighbors called 911 as a result of hearing Hashimi beating H.D., which resulted in police responding to the home. On at least two occasions, H.D. had to go to the emergency room as a result of injuries sustained from beatings by Hashimi. Evidence at trial established that H.D. still has bony lumps on her forehead from being repeatedly hit there by Hashimi, and that she has lost partial hearing in one ear as a result of a particularly bad assault. 

According to court records and evidence presented at trial, in the fall of 2013, the relationship between Hashimi and H.D. had further deteriorated. Shortly before Nov. 8, 2013, Hashimi became suspicious that H.D. had not returned to him all of the oxycodone pills he directed her to obtain from a pharmacy. This argument developed into a physical altercation in which Hashimi repeatedly punched and choked H.D. Ultimately, H.D. was able to flee the apartment, taking with her some of Hashimi’s cocaine prepared for resale. Upon discovering the theft of his cocaine, Hashimi began frantically looking for H.D. and vowing revenge.

According to court records and evidence presented at trial, a few days after the beating, Hashimi organized a group of five men and lured H.D. to a meeting place using a ruse. When H.D. arrived at the location for the meeting, Hashimi and the other men surrounded her vehicle with their cars to prevent her from leaving. The other men threatened the passengers that were with H.D. while Hashimi entered her vehicle and began violently beating her. One of the men Hashimi brought with him threatened to shoot one of the men in H.D.’s car for attempting to intervene on her behalf.  Hashimi dragged H.D. from her vehicle into a getaway car. While one of the other men drove away, Hashimi continued to repeatedly punch H.D. in her head and face.  Eventually, Hashimi’s getaway vehicle arrived at Hashimi’s own vehicle. Hashimi then dragged H.D. into the front passenger seat of his vehicle, and drove into the District of Columbia.  During this time, H.D. was able to call 911, but Hashimi cut off the call and answered the call back, telling the dispatcher that there was no problem.  He threatened to kill H.D.  He continued to beat her as he drove.  At a momentary stop at a red light in the District of Columbia, H.D. was able to run from the vehicle and escape to police assistance.  The police took her to the emergency room in D.C. where she received medical treatment for her substantial injuries.

Dana J. Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia; and Paul M. Abbate, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, made the announcement after sentencing by U.S. District Judge Liam O’Grady.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Whitney Dougherty Russell and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Sean M. Welsh prosecuted the case.

This case was investigated by the FBI, Fairfax County Police Department, Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, Prince William County Police Department, Alexandria City Police Department, Arlington City Police Department, and the Montgomery County (Maryland) Police Department.

A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.  Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching for Case No. 1:16-cr-135.

Drug Trafficking
Violent Crime
Updated December 16, 2016