Skip to main content
Press Release

Fugitive Captured by U.S. Marshals Sentenced to Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Virginia

NORFOLK, Va. – A fugitive captured by the U.S. Marshals at a Suffolk hotel on January 6 was sentenced today to eight years in prison.

According to the statement of facts filed with the plea agreement, the U.S. Marshals captured convicted felon David Webb, 40, of Georgia, at a hotel in Suffolk after being on the run for multiple outstanding arrest warrants issued in Dekalb and Chatham County, Georgia.  During his time as a fugitive, Webb evaded or eluded police on at least three occasions, including one instance when he fled from police by jumping out of the back window of a hotel and hiding in an alligator-infested swamp.

According to court documents, prior to his capture, Webb was able to evade law enforcement through his use of 15 various aliases and 20 false identity documents.  When U.S. Marshals arrested the defendant, he was in possession of more than a dozen driver’s licenses bearing his image but associated with different names.  These identification documents included driver’s licenses purportedly issued by the states of Texas, Nebraska, Illinois, Connecticut, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and the District of Columbia.  Webb was also in possession of five social security cards bearing names other than his own, a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs identification card, and a U.S. Military Common Access Card bearing Webb’s picture and claiming the rank of Sergeant in the Army.  At the time of his arrest, U.S. Marshals also recovered methamphetamine, $7,300 in cash, a digital scale, drug packaging materials, ammunition, and three firearms, one of which had an obliterated serial number.

Dana J. Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, Mark R. Herring, Attorney General of Virginia, Arron J. Graves, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF) Washington Field Division, Robert Mathieson, U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Virginia, and Thomas E. Bennett, Chief of Suffolk Police, made the announcement after sentencing by U.S. District Judge Raymond A. Jackson. Special Assistant U.S. Attorney John F. Butler and Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Comstock prosecuted the case.

A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.  Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching Case No. 2:17-cr-15.


Joshua Stueve
Director of Communications

Updated October 27, 2017

Firearms Offenses