Skip to main content
Press Release

Northern Virginia Man Sentenced To 270 Months For Role In Facilitating Centreville Robbery Resulting In Death

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Virginia

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Stacey Lorenzo Reed, 44, of Manassas, Va., was sentenced today to 270 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for conspiracy to commit robbery and aiding and abetting the discharge of a firearm during or in relation to a crime of violence.
Neil H. MacBride, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel Edwin C. Roessler Jr., Acting Fairfax County Chief of Police, made the announcement after sentencing by United States District Judge Anthony J. Trenga.

            “Nothing can bring back the life that was taken during this horrific crime, but today’s sentence sends a clear message that there are severe consequences for all those who conspire to commit crimes,” said U.S. Attorney Neil H. MacBride.  “Mr. Reed, while not physically present at the murder, put this tragic and terrifying sequence of events in motion.  He will now have over 20 years in federal prison to contemplate his greed fueled involvement in the crime.”

 Reed previously pleaded guilty on April 18, 2013.  According to court documents, Reed obtained information that a business owner, “D.B.,” kept substantial proceeds of his check cashing business at his home in Centreville, Virginia.  Armed with this “inside information,” Reed took coconspirator, Tasheik Ashanti Champean, to D.B.’s home to surveil the property for a future robbery.  On May 17, 2010, Reed drove Champean and Reynard Lazaro Prather, an individual Champean had recruited for the robbery, to Centreville and dropped off the two coconspirators in a wooded area near D.B.’s home.  Prather and Champean – both armed with semi-automatic pistols – entered D.B.’s garage to await his arrival. When D.B.’s son and an employee, Jose Cardona, arrived at the residence, they were confronted by Prather and Champean.  During the struggle, Cardona was shot and killed by one of the two men.  Following Cardona’s murder, Prather and Champean fled the area.  Eventually, Prather and Champean met up with Reed and Reed drove Prather and Champean out of Virginia and back to Maryland. 
Champean and Prather, both of whom pleaded guilty, were both previously sentenced to 360 months in prison for their role in the offense.
This case was investigated by the Fairfax County Police Department’s Homicide Unit.  Assistant United States Attorneys Michael E. Rich and Zachary Terwilliger prosecuted the case on behalf of the United States.
A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia at Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia at or on

Updated March 18, 2015