You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Middle District of Florida

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, September 4, 2014

Winter Haven Man Pleads Guilty To Attempted Sexual Enticement

Orlando, FL – United States Attorney A. Lee Bentley, III announces that Edward Alan Vadney (23, Winter Haven) pleaded guilty today to attempted sexual enticement of a minor.  Vadney faces a mandatory minimum of 10 years, up to a maximum penalty of life in federal prison. He also faces a mandatory minimum term of 5 years, up to a life term of supervision, and registration as a sex offender under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for November 20, 2014.

According to court documents, on May 15, 2014, a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), working in an undercover capacity, discovered an advertisement on the Internet seeking young girls’ underwear. Using his undercover e-mail account, the agent responded to the ad and began corresponding with the man later identified as Vadney.  Via e-mail, the agent told Vadney that he had six-year-old and ten-year-old daughters. Vadney then expressed his interest in meeting and having sex with the children. Vadney and the FBI agent made arrangements to meet the following morning, in a restaurant parking lot in Lake Mary, Florida.

On the following morning, after speaking to a female undercover law enforcement officer posing as the fictitious ten-year-old “daughter” and confirming the meeting, Vadney traveled from Winter Haven, Florida to Lake Mary. When Vadney arrived at the predetermined meeting spot, he was taken into custody.  During an interview with the FBI, Vadney said that he had traveled to Lake Mary to meet the “father” with whom he had been communicating since the previous day. Vadney admitted that his purpose in traveling to Lake Mary was to have sex with the man’s six-year-old and ten-year-old “daughters.”

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  It is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Joseph M. Schuster.

It is another case brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.  Led by the United States Attorneys' Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims.  For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

Component(s): 
Updated January 26, 2015