Skip to main content
Press Release

West Virginia Man Sentenced To 70 Months In Prison For Bank Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Minnesota

ST. PAUL, Minn. – A West Virginia man was sentenced today to 70 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for robbing a bank in Moorhead, Minnesota.

According to court documents, on May 1, 2019, Robert Vaughn Evans, 53, entered the Gate City Bank located inside a grocery store in Moorhead, Minnesota. Evans handed the bank teller a note that stated, “I have a gun.” Evans told the teller he did not want “bait” and that he was “not [expletive] around” while reaching for his back waistline, leading the teller to believe Evans possessed and was reaching for a gun. The teller retrieved $3,860 from the drawer and provided it to Evans, who put the money in his pocket and fled on foot. The robbery was captured from several angles on high-quality surveillance video.

According to court documents, Evans also admitted that on February 13, 2019, he robbed Key Bank in Niagara Falls, New York. Upon entering the bank, Evans presented a note to the bank teller which claimed he had a weapon and requested “no bait packs.” Evans was given $786 in cash before fleeing the bank.

As part of his sentence, Evans was ordered to pay $3,860 in restitution to Gate City Bank in Moorhead, Minnesota, and $786 to Key Bank in Niagara Falls, New York.

Acting U.S. Attorney W. Anders Folk for the District of Minnesota made the announcement after U.S. District Judge Patrick J. Schiltz sentenced the defendant.

This case is the result of an investigation conducted by the FBI, the United States Marshals Service (USMS), the Moorhead Police Department, the New York State Police, the Pennsylvania State Police, the Washington County (Ohio) Sheriff’s Office, the Story City (Iowa) Police Department, the Holland (Massachusetts) Police Department, the Marietta (Ohio) Police Department, and the Morehead City (North Carolina) Police Department.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Laura M. Provinzino prosecuted the case.

Updated July 6, 2021

Violent Crime