Skip to main content
Press Release

Bixby Man Convicted for Attempted Carjacking in Tulsa and a Double Homicide in Broken Arrow

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Oklahoma

A Bixby man was convicted Friday in federal court for an attempted carjacking in Tulsa and a later double murder that occurred in Haikey Creek Park in Broken Arrow, announced U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson.

A federal jury found Hunter Isaiah Hobbs, 21, guilty of all seven counts against him, including two counts of conspiracy to carry, use, and brandish a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence; attempted carjacking; robbery in Indian Country; felony murder in Indian Country; causing death by carrying, using and discharging a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence; and obstruction of justice by killing a victim.

Hobbs’ codefendant Denim Lee Blount, 20, of Tulsa, will go to trial at a later date. Blount is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

“Hunter Hobbs conspired with an accomplice to rob two acquaintances and then killed them so they couldn’t report the robbery to police. The week prior, the pair shot a complete stranger during an attempted carjacking,” said U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson. “The relentless efforts of this Office, the FBI, and the Tulsa and Broken Arrow Police Departments resulted in Hobbs being held accountable for these callous crimes. I want to thank the jury for their service and for following the evidence to a guilty verdict."

“The defendant in this case acted in blatant disregard for the law and more importantly, human life,” said FBI Oklahoma City Special Agent in Charge Edward J. Gray. “We will continue to work tirelessly with our law enforcement partners to remove violent offenders like Hobbs from our communities.”

“The Broken Arrow Police Department, the Tulsa Police Department, the FBI, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office all worked closely together on this case,” said Broken Arrow Chief of Police Brandon Berryhill.  “We are so appreciative of the team-approach, and we are always ready to do the same for our regional partners.”

On May 8, 2021, at 10:29 pm, two men later identified as Hobbs and Blount approached a man in a parking lot in an attempt to steal his vehicle. The victim stated that the defendants pointed firearms at him. The two ordered the victim to get out of his vehicle, and when the victim refused, both men shot through his windshield, striking him multiple times. The two then fled the scene. An investigator with the Tulsa Police Department estimated that the victim had been shot approximately 10 times.

The victim was transported to St. Francis Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The victim suffered permanent nerve damage to a finger as a result of the shooting. Surveillance cameras from a nearby apartment complex captured the incident and the men’s uncovered faces.

Less than a week later, prosecutors contended that Hobbs and Blount killed Caleb Vaughn Collier and Kelly Ray Olen Landsaw Davis at Haikey Creek Park in Broken Arrow. During trial, prosecutors contended that Hobbs shot and killed Collier 15 total times with a 1911 Colt Commander .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, and Blount shot and killed Landsaw Davis with a 12-gauge shotgun.

At the crime scene, Broken Arrow police officers located 15 .45 caliber shell casings, one fired 12-gauge shotgun shell, and one unfired 12-guage shotgun shell.

The Tulsa Police Department’s Forensic Laboratory examined the cartridge casings and shotgun shells collected from both crime scenes and determined they came from the same two firearms.

Law enforcement was able to link Hobbs and his codefendant to the double homicide by accessing Davis’ Facebook account. Investigators learned that Hobbs had been messaging Davis about meeting up in Haikey Creek Park just prior to the murders. Hobbs’ cell phone data also placed him at the park at the time of the crime.

Officers also linked the two men to the attempted carjacking after speaking with family members who confirmed Blount and Hobbs were the individuals in the video committing the crime.

Investigators further confirmed that Hobbs’ Colt Commander was the same pistol he accidentally discharged years prior in an incident at his grandfather Ike Shirley’s home in Bixby. Shirley was the Chief of Police in Bixby at that time as well as at the time of the murders. At the end of the accidental discharge investigation, the pistol was signed out of evidence and returned to Hobbs.

During the course of the investigation, the FBI interviewed the defendants’ friends and family members. They learned that the two had conspired to commit the attempted carjacking and double homicide and talked to witnesses about their involvement.

Agents further learned that after the double murder, the men drove off in Collier’s car, parked it near an apartment complex where they were staying, and set fire to the car to destroy potential evidence.

During trial, Hobbs’ former fiancé testified about remarks Hobbs made following both incidents.

She stated that when Hobbs returned from the May 8, 2021, attempted carjacking, Hobbs said that he shot through the driver’s window because he thought the driver was going to shoot Blount. He bragged that the driver was likely dead since he was slouched over in the vehicle. He then had her download a Newson6 app so he could keep tabs on reports about the attempted carjacking.

On the night of May 12, 2021, Hobbs’ former fiancé also stated that the group was hanging out with friends when Hobbs told her that he and Blount were going to go smoke with Collier and Landsaw Davis. He then said if things went wrong “he’d handle it.” She asked to go with him, but he was adamant she didn’t go.

Hobbs returned early the morning of the crime and described the events that took place. Hobbs told her that when Collier started running from the defendants that he shot Collier in the back with a full magazine. He then reloaded the pistol and emptied the second magazine into the victim’s neck and face. Then Hobbs said he kicked the victim in the face. His former fiancé described how Hobbs joked about the crime, mocked the victim, and then mimicked the victim’s dying breaths. She said the two then returned to his grandfather’s home, where Hobbs resided, and played video games.

In closing prosecutors argued that Hobbs’ crimes were senseless and that ultimately “violence was the motive.” They described how he sought to create a violent persona and bragged about leaving a trail of bodies as a result of his crimes. Finally, prosecutors stated that Hobbs was trying to be known as a killer. They asked the jury to give him the title of “killer” and find him guilty on all counts.

The FBI and Tulsa and Broken Arrow Police Departments conducted the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christopher J. Nassar, Ryan H. Heatherman and Leah D. Paisner are prosecuting the case.


Public Affairs

Updated October 24, 2022