Skip to main content
Press Release

Okmulgee Man Sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Second Degree Murder

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Oklahoma

A defendant who pleaded guilty to fatally shooting a man at a north Tulsa convenience store parking lot was sentenced today in federal court, announced U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson.

“The defendant callously chased down, shot and killed the victim, who was simply sweeping trash from a convenience store parking lot,” said U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson. “Marquelon Johnson will serve a 25-year prison sentence for taking this man’s life. I’m thankful to our law enforcement partners and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Edward Snow and Nathan Michel for ensuring Johnson was brought to justice for this heinous crime.”

U.S. District Judge Gregory K. Frizzell sentenced Marquelon Dakarai Johnson, 22, of Okmulgee, to 300 months in federal prison for second degree murder. Following his release from prison, he will serve five years on supervised release.

Johnson previously admitted that he shot and killed victim Austin Martin and intended to do so.

On Oct. 4, 2021, Tulsa Police Department was dispatched to the 3200 block of E. Pine Street in Tulsa in response to shots fired. They located the victim in the street.

During a review of security footage, officers found that the incident began at a nearby convenience store and continued through a shopping strip parking lot. The footage showed the victim cleaning a business parking lot when the defendant approached him. The two briefly interacted then Johnson walked away while the victim continued to clean the lot. Less than a minute later, the suspect reapproached and interacted with the victim, who then began running east bound through the parking lot. The suspect could be seen reaching under his shirt and chasing the victim. Footage from another location showed the victim running from Johnson who was firing at him. The victim eventually collapsed on the ground and the suspect fled the scene.

Officers were later notified of a man transported to St. Johns Medical Center after he was caught breaking into a vehicle near the crime scene shortly after the shooting. The man had been injured by the vehicle’s owner and others. He refused to answer questions. Officers eventually tied him to the shooting when they recognized his clothing from the surveillance video that captured the murder. They were then able to identify him as Marquelon Johnson.

The Tulsa Police Department and FBI conducted the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Edward Snow and Nathan E Michel prosecuted the case.


Public Affairs


Updated March 9, 2023

Violent Crime
Indian Country Law and Justice