You are here

Civil Rights Enforcement

This office welcomes information from the public that brings to our attention possible violations of our nation's civil rights laws.  At the same time, while the scope of our civil rights practice is broad, the authority of the Department of Justice to investigate and seek relief for individual complaining parties for alleged civil rights violations is limited. We may investigate and seek to remedy alleged discriminatory conduct only where and in the manner specifically authorized by law.  This office will review every complaint and, where appropriate, pursue the matter or refer it to another agency or entity.  Please keep in mind that this office cannot represent you in any matter and you may need your own attorney.

If you have information concerning a potential violation of the federal civil rights laws that you wish to bring to our attention, you may complete the Civil Rights Complaint Form.

You may believe that your rights were violated, but it does not necessarily follow that your civil rights have been violated.  If so, your complaint may be more directly processed if you contact to the most appropriate agency.  Please visit common inquiries and links to the appropriate agency information.

Federal regulations guarantee same-sex spouses and same-sex domestic partners full and equal visitation privileges at all Medicare and Medicaid participating hospitals.  If you have been denied this right, you may lodge a complaint with the New Jersey Department of Health. Learn more about the denial of same-sex visitation rights at hospitals.

Updated October 18, 2018

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No