Skip to main content
Press Release

Gang Leader Sentenced to 151 Months in Prison for Selling Heroin

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of New Jersey
Was Arrested One Month After Release From Prison on Manslaughter Conviction

CAMDEN, N.J. – An admitted leader of the “Fruit Town Brims” set of the Bloods street gang was sentenced today to 151 months in prison for dealing heroin, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.

Tyrone Tyson Sr., 40, of Camden, pleaded guilty in October 2014 before U.S. District Judge Joseph E. Irenas to an information charging him with distributing and possession with intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin. Judge Irenas imposed the sentence today in Camden federal court.

According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court:

Tyson controlled the activities of the “Fruit Town Brims” set of the Bloods in Camden. He was released in August 2013 from a 21-year state prison term for first-degree aggravated manslaughter and second-degree aggravated assault for shooting two people seated inside of a car and killing one of them. He began selling heroin in the area of North 32nd Street in Camden and sold heroin to an undercover agent twice in September 2013, just one month after being released from prison. Tyson’s criminal history also includes convictions for possession of controlled dangerous substances, second-degree aggravated assault, third-degree aggravated assault, conspiracy to distribute controlled dangerous substances, and possessing an electronic communication device in a correctional facility.

In late July 2013, members of the Camden High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Task Force conducted an investigation into Tyson’s drug trafficking activities, using surveillance, undercover officers, confidential informants, audio recordings and controlled drug purchases. The investigation revealed Tyson was selling heroin in the area of North 32nd Street in Camden and, in fact, sold heroin to an undercover law enforcement agent on two occasions.

In addition to the prison term, Judge Irenas sentenced Tyson to five years of supervised release.
U.S. Attorney Fishman credited special agents of the N.J. Drug Enforcement Administration, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Carl J. Kotowski; Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, under the direction of Acting Special Agent in Charge Kevin Kelly; the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office, under the direction of Prosecutor Mary Eva Colalillo; the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office, under the direction of Prosecutor Sean F. Dalton; and the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office, under the direction of Prosecutor Robert D. Bernardi, with the investigation leading to today’s sentencing.

He also thanked officers of the Camden County Sheriff’s Department, the Delaware River Port Authority Police, the Gloucester City Police Department, the Westampton New Jersey Police Department, the Monroe Township Police Department and the Washington Township Police Department for taking part in the investigation.

The government is represented by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Erin M. Fay of the Camden office.

This case was developed through the work of the Camden Collaborative Crime Commission (C-4). Every federal, state and local law enforcement agency and prosecutor’s office responsible for combating drug trafficking, gang activity and violent crime in Camden has come together in one location to share intelligence, develop investigative strategies and support the investigative and prosecutorial efforts of its partners. C-4 has merged the individual missions of the various law enforcement agencies into a single strategic attack on drug trafficking and drug-related violent crime. Such intense coordination greatly enhances the law enforcement community’s ability to correctly identify and successfully prosecute the most dangerous criminals in one of our nation’s most dangerous cities.


Defense Counsel: Scott Cohen Esq., Cherry Hill, N.J.

Updated March 26, 2015