Conviction Integrity Committee
In 2022, U.S. Attorney Damian Williams created the Southern District of New York’s Conviction Integrity Committee (the “CIC”). The CIC strives to ensure justice is done in every case by:
- evaluating and investigating as necessary any claims of factual innocence in cases previously prosecuted by the Southern District of New York;
- serving as a point of contact for convicted defendants or their counsel who believe the Southern District of New York is in possession of information that may bear on a claim of wrongful conviction in another jurisdiction; and
- being a liaison to conviction integrity units in local District Attorneys’ offices.
The CIC is chaired by the Chief of the Criminal Division, and its members include the Associate U.S. Attorney, the Special Counsel for Policy and External Affairs, a Chief of the Civil Rights Unit in the Criminal Division and a Chief of the Violent and Organized Crime Unit.
How do I submit a case for review?
Requests for the Conviction Integrity Committee to review a case and/or to provide information must be submitted in writing by the convicted person or their attorney using the appropriate applications below. Criteria for consideration are set forth in the applications.
- Application to seek review of a
- Application to obtain information relating to a
- Application if you are requesting information relating to a state or local conviction
The CIC Application Form and any correspondence should be mailed or hand delivered to:
United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York
Attn: Conviction Integrity Committee
c/o Chief of the Criminal Division
One St. Andrew’s Plaza
New York, NY 10007