You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of Missouri

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Former Lee's Summit Police Officer Sentenced for Armed Bank Robbery

Led Officers in 100 MPH Pursuit from Lee's Summit to Grandview

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A former Lee’s Summit, Missouri, police officer who led officers on a 100-miles-per-hour vehicle pursuit has been sentenced in federal court for armed bank robbery.

Richard W. Hagerty, 36, of Independence, Missouri, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Roseann Ketchmark on Wednesday, Nov. 13, to eight years in federal prison without parole.

On March 12, 2019, Hagerty pleaded guilty to one count of armed bank robbery and one count of brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence. Hagerty was a police officer with the Lee’s Summit Police Department from 2007 to 2016.

Hagerty entered Central Bank of the Midwest, located at 1305 N.W. Arborwalk Blvd. in Lee’s Summit, on Aug. 28, 2018. Hagerty, wearing a camouflage balaclava-style mask that covered part of his face and black gloves, pointed a Glock .40-caliber pistol at a customer and yelled, “Everybody get down on the floor, this is a robbery.” He demanded cash from two tellers, pointing the handgun at them while he was demanding money. Hagerty stole about $7,000 then fled from the bank on foot.

A Lee’s Summit police officer located Hagerty driving a dark gray Mazda on Hook Road and 139th Street shortly after the robbery. When the officer activated his emergency equipment, Hagerty accelerated and a vehicle pursuit ensued. The pursuit stretched from Lee’s Summit to Grandview, Mo., in the middle of the day, on busy thoroughfares. Hagerty drove erratically during the pursuit, according to court documents, by reaching speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour on those busy roads, passing through school zones, and crossing into oncoming traffic.

After the vehicle was finally stopped, the officer gave verbal instructions for the occupant of the Mazda to exit the vehicle. After a short delay, Hagerty exited through the driver's side door of the vehicle with his hands raised above his head. The officer immediately recognized Hagerty, who was arrested.

Inside the vehicle, officers saw a large amount of cash on the driver’s seat and the front driver’s and passenger’s floorboard. They also recovered the Glock handgun from the vehicle.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ashleigh Ragner and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Smith. It was investigated by the Lee’s Summit, Mo., Police Department and the FBI.

Violent Crime
Updated November 14, 2019