Skip to main content
Press Release

KC Man Pleads Guilty to Armed Bank Robbery, Faces 15 Years in Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man who was tackled by a security guard while making his escape pleaded guilty in federal court today to armed bank robbery.


Sidney A. Williams, 62, of Kansas City, pleaded guilty before U.S. Chief District Judge Greg Kays to the charge contained in a Nov. 17, 2015, federal indictment.


By pleading guilty today, Williams admitted that he stole $6,493 at gunpoint from Bank Midwest, 7904 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo., on Nov. 10, 2015.


According to court documents, Williams was wearing a black ski mask and black gloves when he entered the bank and ordered everyone in the lobby to the ground. Williams entered the security guard’s office, grabbed his shirt and forced him to the ground. Williams pointed a .38-caliber revolver at bank employees, including the security guard and the assistant branch manager. Two bank employees placed money into a blue canvas grocery bag that Williams was carrying.


When Williams ran out the door of the bank after the robbery, the security guard chased after him. The security guard tackled Williams across the street from the bank and a struggle ensued. Williams pointed the revolver at the security guard before he was able to disarm him. The security guard received assistance from a passerby in subduing Williams. Law enforcement officers recovered a blue canvas bag of cash, the handgun and a black ski mask from the area where Williams was taken into custody.


Under the terms of today’s plea agreement, Williams will be sentenced to 15 years in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled after the completion of a presentence investigation by the United States Probation Office.


This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Patrick C. Edwards and Jeffrey Q. McCarther. It was investigated by the FBI and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

Updated July 6, 2016

Violent Crime