You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of Missouri

Thursday, June 9, 2016

KC Man Sentenced for Bank Robbery

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for robbing Commerce Bank.


David E. Clark, 37, of Kansas City, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gary A. Fenner to five years in federal prison without parole. The court also ordered Clark to pay $3,037 in restitution.


On Dec. 8, 2015, Clark was convicted following a bench trial of stealing $3,037 from Commerce Bank, 118 W. 47th Street, Kansas City.


Clark was wearing an orange construction-type vest when he entered the bank on July 28, 2014. He walked directly towards a teller station and grabbed a note from his pocket. The teller refused to look at the note and asked Clark if he needed help. Clark told the teller to pull out his drawers. When the teller told him the teller drawers were locked, Clark instructed him to get the keys. The teller returned to his teller station, and Clark told him to “give me 100’s, 50’s and 20’s.” The teller grabbed the requested denominations from his teller drawer and gave the money to Clark, who walked swiftly out of the bank’s front door and then ran up Wyandotte Street.


Another bank employee saw Clark go around the corner and then exit a parking garage in a white truck with a concrete company’s sign on the side. Less than half an hour later, police officers located Clark and arrested him after a brief car chase. The stolen money was not recovered at the time of Clark’s arrest.


According to court documents, the owner of the truck told law enforcement investigators that he had driven the vehicle to a meeting earlier that day and offered a ride to Clark, who had done work as an independent contractor for his company. After his meeting he was supposed to take Clark to another location, but when he returned to the parking lot after his meeting, both Clark and his truck were gone.


This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney D. Michael Green. It was investigated by the FBI and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

Violent Crime
Updated June 9, 2016