This is archived content from the U.S. Department of Justice website. The information here may be outdated and links may no longer function. Please contact if you have any questions about the archive site.

127. Motion to Transfer

Transfer is normally initiated by filing a Motion to Transfer|B251 which may be filed concurrent with, or subsequent to, an information. Certification|B250, as previously described for juvenile delinquency proceedings, is also required to proceed in this manner. The certification is filed prior to, or concurrent with, the filing of the Motion to Transfer. United States Attorneys are delegated the authority of the Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Criminal Division, pursuant to 18 U.S.C.A. §§ 5032, 5036, and 28 C.F.R. § 0.57, to file Motions to Transfer juveniles for criminal prosecution in federal court. Memorandum from Assistant Attorney General Jo Ann Harris for all United States Attorneys (July 20, 1995).

Updated January 22, 2020