The information posted on the Department of Justice website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The Department of Justice does not endorse the organizations or views represented by outside websites and takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over, the accuracy, accessibility, copyright or trademark compliance or legality of the material contained on outside websites.
Guides, Portals & Reference Materials | Treaties | Trade, Commerce & Intellectual Property
Human Rights & International Criminal Law
Guides, Portals, and Reference Materials
- American Society of International Law (ASIL) e - RG Electronic Resource Guide. Basic strategies to find international legal materials in a variety of subjects.
- Audiovisual Library of International Law. Audio and video of historic materials relating to significant legal instruments under the auspices of the UN and related agencies since 1945; lectures on virtually every subject of international law and a research library.
- Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) and Handbook. State Department -- Links to the electronic editions of both publications.
- Guide to Foreign and International Legal Databases. NYU Law - Over 20 topics including constitutions, environmental law, EU, and international law.
- International Legal Research: Useful Databases and Websites. Harvard Law - Links to news, research tools, foreign and international legal sources, and international organizations.
- Law Library of Congress Guide to Law Online: International and Multinational. Guides to multinational reference sources, online law reviews, treaties, and the OAS and UN. Excellent starting point for international & foreign research.
- Library of Congress Country Studies. Description and analysis of historical settings and social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions.
- Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History & Diplomacy. Yale Law Library - Historical documents from 4000 BC to the present.
- Council of Europe: European Treaties. Database of treaty texts, signatures, reservations, declarations, and explanatory reports.
- Senate Legislation: Treaties. Access to information on treaties received from the President, on the Executive Calendar, approved by the Senate, and other recent treaty status actions.
- Treaty Research Guide. Georgetown University Law Library.
- United Nations Documents (UNODS). Official document system of the UN covering all types of official documentation, including resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and the Trusteeship Council.
- United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z. All U.S. treaties, whether currently in force, expired, or not yet officially published.
- U.S. Treasury Resource Center. Recent Income Tax Treaties, Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEAs) with accompanying public technical explanations, and the U.S. Model Income Tax Convention.
Trade, Commerce, and Intellectual Property
- Espacenet Patent search. European Patent Office - Published patent applications (most in PDF format) from over 70 different countries and regions, with information going back to the 1920s.
- European Union Directorate General of Competition. Contact information, annual reports, reports of annual activity and staff and structure information.
- EUROSTAT. European statistical database covering a variety of topics.
- Foreign Trade Information System (OAS). Full text of trade agreements in force for OAS Member States, policy developments, information on national trade-related legislation, and links to international, regional and national sources of trade policy information.
- globalEDGE Resource Desk. Michigan State University - Collection of thousands of international business resources.
- Intellectual Property Offices Directory. Directory, by country, of National and Regional Intellectual Property Offices.
- International Trade Center. Database of legal information on international trade.
- World Trade Organization (WTO). Database contains WTO trade agreements, Trade and Annual Reports, Dispute Settlement Summaries, Tariff Data, Working Papers and Statistics.
Human Rights and International Criminal Law
Contents updated July 2021