The information posted on the Department of Justice website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The Department of Justice does not endorse the organizations or views represented by outside websites and takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over, the accuracy, accessibility, copyright or trademark compliance or legality of the material contained on outside websites.
General Resources | Compiled Legislative Histories | Congressional Documents | Presidential Signing Statements | Public Laws/Statutes at Large | United States Code | Bill & Issue Tracking
- Enactment of a Law (Library of Congress)
- Compiling a Federal Legislative History: A Beginner’s Guide (Library of Congress)
- How Our Laws Are Made (Library of Congress)
- Exploring Constitutional Amendments with the Serial Set
- Georgetown Law Legislative History Tutorial
- LLSDC Legislative Source Book
- Glossary of Congressional Terminology
Compiled Legislative Histories
- Legislative Histories compiled by the U.S. Department of Justice Library Staff.
Bills | Debates | Reports | Hearings
- Bills (govinfo), 1993 to present
- Bills (congress.gov), 1973 to present
- Congressional Record, 1873 to present
- Daily edition (govinfo), 1994 to present
- Bound edition (govinfo), 1998 to 2015
- Congressional Record Index (govinfo), 1983 to present
- Congressional Globe (American Memory Project), 1883 to 1873
- Register of Debates (American Memory Project), 1824 to 1837
- Annals of Congress (American Memory Project), 1789 to 1824
- Congressional Reports (govinfo), 1995 to present
- Report (congress.gov), 1995 to present
- Hearings (govinfo), 1985 to present, collection incomplete
Presidential Signing Statements
- Daily Compilation of Presidential Documents (govinfo), 1992 to present
Public Laws/Statutes at Large
- Public Laws/Statutes at Large (congress.gov), 1973 to present
- Public Laws (govinfo), 1995 to present
- Statutes at Large (govinfo), 1951 to 2012
United States Code
- Office of Law Revision Counsel, prepares and publishes US Code, official version
- United States Code (govinfo), 1994 to 2018
Bill and Issue Tracking
- C-SPAN.org – Live video of Congressional proceedings.
- Govtrack.us – Online tool to track activities in the U.S. Congress. Email alerts and RSS feeds available.
- GPO govinfo – All published versions, updated daily, search or browse lists, PDF versions of bills.
- Congress.gov – Bill summary and status, Congressional Record, schedules, calendars, and more.