The information posted on the Department of Justice website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The Department of Justice does not endorse the organizations or views represented by outside websites and takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over, the accuracy, accessibility, copyright or trademark compliance or legality of the material contained on outside websites.
Country Links | General Resources and Guides
General Resources and Guides
- CIA World Factbook
- Codices (Venice Commission). Summaries and full text of decisions made available to the Venice Commission, descriptions of participating courts, and constitutions, including the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
- Commonwealth Legal Information Institute (CommonLII). Links for Commonwealth countries, territories and dependencies and other common law jurisdictions.
- Competition & Consumer Protection Authorities Worldwide. List from U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
- Country by Country Guide to Foreign Law Research (Yale Law Library). Listed by country with links to major sources for laws.
- CRL Foreign Official Gazette Database. Official foreign gazette data, both current and historical.
- Derecho Penal - University of Fribourg. Includes criminal codes and related documents for over 30 countries in various languages.
- Doing Business Guides (World Bank). Library of current business laws and regulations.
- Eagle-i Internet Portal for Law. Database of websites. Search or browse. Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London.
- Embassy.org - Washington D.C. Embassies.
- EU N-Lex: Common Gateway to National Law. National laws for EU member countries
- Export.gov (U.S. Department of Commerce). Current market snapshots, policy and law descriptions, and business practices worldwide. Continues the State Deparment's Country Commercial Guides series.
- Foreign and Comparative Law Research Guide. Georgetown U. Law Library's links to collections or databases of statutes or case law, by country. Includes Westlaw and Lexis.
- Foreign Law Research Guide. Boston U. School of Law Library's links by region, then country. Also has a subject guide.
- Foreign Law Translations. Institute for Transnational Law, University of Texas at Austin. French, German, Austrian and Israeli legal materials (including court decisions) in constitutional, administrative, contract and tort law.
- Foreign Relations of the United States (U.S. Department of State). Historical series containing declassified documents from foreign posts. Mostly from 1948-1980..
- Free Access to Law Movement. International voluntary association which has as its members more than 50 organisations from around the world
- Global & Comparative Law Resources. This page summarizes and provides links to the Law Library of Congress' many resources for foreign law research, including finding English translations. Highlights include the Guide to Law Online, links by country (included on the country pages); Global Legal Monitor (GLM), news and analysis by country and topic (available as an email or a searchable database); GLIN Archive, laws from official sources for many hard to find countries (no longer being updated); Global Legal Information Catalog (GLIC), index by country and subject of which countries are included in which global topical treatise.
- Global Anti-Corruption and Anti-Bribery Laws. Comparison of anti-bribery laws in selected foreign jurisdictions.
- GlobaLex: Foreign Law Guides. NYU School of Law's extensive international, foreign, and comparative law research guides.
- Human Rights Reports. State Department current site has 1999+.
- ILO Natlex. Database of national laws on labour, social security, and related human rights and general subjects including constitutional, civil and criminal laws.
- Immigration and Review Board of Canada - National Documentation Packages. Select a country from the dropdown for a list of basic resources on the country, human rights situation, citizenship laws, etc.
- International Constitutional Law Project (ICL). From the University of Bern, the International Constitutional Law (ICL) project provides English translations of constitutions and other textual material related to constitutional documents. It cross-references those documents for quick comparison of constitutional provisions.
- International Criminal Court - Legal Tools Database. Large collection of criminal laws. Click "Browse" then browse "National Jurisdictions." Laws included will show up at the bottom of the page.
- IMOLIN: International Money Laundering Information Network. Money laundering and related laws, browsable by country.
- Jurispedia. Wiki encyclopedia of academic law in many languages.
- Language Links Database - Free Language Resources. Collection of links to free language links and language resources by country.
- Lexadin World Law Guide (no longer updated - for historic content only). Legislation page contains links, by country, to individual laws, in any language. At the end see, Law Sources.
- Lexicool. Free online translation tools.
- NationMaster. Select a category and sub-category to see statistical comparisons for countries around the world. The data is mined from the CIA World Factbook, World Bank, the United Nations, OECD, WTO, and other organizations.
- OAS: Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters and Extradition. Criminal codes and related laws (in various languages) for OAS countries.
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons - Legislation Database. Database of national implementing legislation for chemical and biological weapons treatises, but which includes many more general laws.
- OSCE LegislationLine. Links to Constitution, Criminal codes, Official Gazette, Parliament, Courts, for OSCE countries.
- Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute (PacLII). University of the South Pacific Law School site which publishes legislation, caselaw, and treaties for 20 Pacific Island nations
- PARLINE Database on National Parliaments. Inter-Parliamentary Union. Information for all countries where a national legislature exists, the database provides: general information on each of the parliament's chambers, description of the electoral system, results of the most recent elections, information on the presidency of each chamber, information on the mandate and status of members of parliament, and links.
- Political Database of the Americas. A joint venture between the Center for Latin American Studies at Georgetown University and the Unit for the Promotion of Democracy at the Organization of American States, the Political Database of the Americas provides reference materials, primary documents, comparative studies and statistical data for countries in the Western Hemisphere.
- Search Systems. Sources of public records, including foreign jurisdictions.
- Southern African Legal Information Institute (SafLII). Laws and legal links for Southern African countries.
- UN 1540 Committee. Legislative documents related to arms control, listed by country.
- UNHCR RefWorld. Laws, reports, and some cases, by country, relating to human rights issues.
- UNODC Cybercrime Legislation Repository. National laws related to cybercrime for many countries.
- UNODC Sherloc Organized Crime Legislation. Contains four databases on transational organized crime: case law, legislation, competent national authorities, and an annotated bibliography.
- UNODC Tools and Resources for Anti-Corruption Knowledge (TRACK) Laws & Authorities. Contains laws, jurisprudence ,and information on anti-corruption authorities from over 175 states worldwide, indexed and searchable according to each provision of the UN Convention Against Corruption.
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets. State Department - Basic facts, including short history and statistical information.
- WIPO Lex. Searchable database of intellectual property laws by country for WIPO member countries.
- World Legal Information Institute. From the Legal Information Institute, this site has a worldwide focus covering databases for Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe, North America, and the Pacific Islands. Resources are also viewable by topic, with links to legislation, case law, treaties, law reform, law journals, and more.
Updated December 30, 2020