THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S HONORS PROGRAM
Since 1953, the Attorney General’s Honors Program has been recognized as the nation's premier entry-level federal attorney recruitment program. The Honors Program attracts candidates from hundreds of law schools across the country representing a broad cross-section of experiences and interests. Selections are made based on many elements of a candidate’s background, including a demonstrated commitment to government service, academic achievement, leadership, journal, moot court and mock trial experience, clinical experience, past employment, and extracurricular activities that relate to the work of Justice and the relevant component. The Department of Justice seeks high caliber attorneys to advance its mission and welcomes applications from candidates whose backgrounds reflect the Nation's rich diversity.
Eligibility is limited to graduating law students and recent law school graduates who entered judicial clerkships, graduate law programs, or qualifying legal fellowships within 9 months of law school graduation and who meet additional eligibility requirements.
Honors Program hiring offices and the number of entry-level attorney positions varies from year to year. Review the list of the components participating this year.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted via the online application.
- The application opens on July 31st and closes the Tuesday after Labor Day.
- Read the application tips and checklist and assemble requested information before starting the online application.
- Requests for an accommodation in order to complete the application should be directed to Deana Willis at (202) 514-3397.
- July 31: Application Opens
- Early September (day after Labor Day): Application deadline
- Late September: Interview candidates selected
- Mid-October - early November: Main Honors Program interview period
- Late November - February: Offers Extended
If you are Selected for an Interview
Candidates selected for an interview should review Honors Program Interviews for information about selection, the notification process, interview and travel schedules, and reimbursement. Also see Component Contacts, Pre-Interview Submissions, and Interview Locations.
- Salary, Promotion, and Benefits Information
- Conditions of Employment (Hiring Process, Policies, Requirements)
- Components, Offices and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices
- Disability Hiring
Applications for the Honors Program 2017-2018 will open on July 31, 2017 and close on September 5, 2017.